| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing string gauges on Emmons PP
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 7:21 pm    

Hello all,

So I’ve tried to get used to the heavier gauge strings 1, 2 & 3 that were on the E9 neck when I got it from a fellow forumite a couple of years ago. I’ve read the posts from guys with .012’s on their G#, and how they like them better, but it’s just not for me.

I’d like to change them out for more standard gauges, but as they’re all either raising or lowering I don’t know where I’d start making adjustments, at the end plate or would I have to get in under the hood? If nothing else I’ll wait till I can get it to a pro for setup, but the situation is making hesitant to play it and that’s a damn shame. My LLG III has .011 on #3 and so have the rest of the guitars I’ve owned thru the years, so I guess that’s just what I’m used to and most comfortable with.

Any thoughts from Mr. Skaggs or any of the other push pull gurus would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Skeeter
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 9:19 pm    

Skeet,
Just tune all three with the maximum raise engaged for each. Then let off the raises and tune the open (unraised) tone at the endplate -- lower row of holes. Shouldn't require no rocket science. Very Happy
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 10:32 pm    

The endplate tuners should easily be able to handle the small string gauge changes that you want to make.

No major surgery required at all