| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey LTD on'off toggle switch.
Robert Lizmore

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2019 6:59 am    

I have an old Peavey LTD I've used for years for playing out. About every couple years, during transport to or from a gig, no matter how much care I take in loading it, the on/off toggle switch gets banged and broken and I have to replace it. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and come up with a solution. I've considered replacing it with a dpdt on-off-on rocker switch, or possibly having a bracket made to protect it. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2019 3:45 pm    

I have the Session 400 which is the same electronics in a bigger cabinet I understand. I just took a look at my rear panel. Indeed the bat handle power switch does protrude beyond the edges of the cabinet by a 1/4" or so. I've never had the problem you mention though.
The most ideal situation would be to replace your bat with a rocker type which are typically very low profile. Furthermore, it would be extremely ideal if you find one that mounts in the same diameter round hole as the bat handle does currently. But, I doubt you will find any rocker switch rated for 120VAC that fits that bill. I have one that would fit but is only rated for 12V. Another type is a slide switch - same issue though.
So...I think you are left with is "guarding" the present bat handle. I think this can be done without modifying the amp to the extent you can't put it back. This particular amp will be collectible some day (if not now) so you shouldn't cut any metal.
I noticed a screw just below the switch that could be used to mount a guard.
A single piece of 1 x 1 x 1/16" thick angle aluminum would do the trick. So long as the vertical edge of the angle aluminum protrudes above the bat handle It would protect it. Since it's below the switch, reaching behind and over the amp to turn it on should not be a problem.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 1:47 am    

FWIW:

I've never had this problem with my stock LTD, but I always put a cover on it when taking it out of the house. Stock Peavey vinyl amp cover. Seems to be enough to keep the switch from getting hit.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 3:17 am    

I purchased my LTD 400 new in 1977 and have never experienced this issue. Never had a cover for it. During the years I was playing out regularly, it was often transported in the back of an open pickup. Never really babied it, but took reasonably good care of it nevertheless. After more than forty years, the thing still looks pretty good: