| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  High G on C6 / High E on A6 (8-String)?
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 2:41 pm    

Gang:

Getting ready to re-string my '59 Stringmaster D8 for C6 and A6. In the past, I haven't used a hight G (5th) as my top-most string, but I'm thinking of going for it (same for A6th).

Any thoughts on the (low to high C6 and A6 turnings)? Advantages and disadvantages?

C6: G E C A G E C Bb

A6: E C# A F# E C# A F#

As always, thanks! Any suggestions for string gauges also appreciated.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Steve Duke

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 5:21 pm    

You can string one neck as A6 and retune to C6 with same set of strings and have the other neck for another tuning. I have A6 on inside and E6 on outside neck and retune the A6 to C6 if needed.
Steve Duke

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 5:22 pm    

You need to retune the F# and C# strings.
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 5:37 pm    

One of the disadvantages in my view is that the tunings are so alike that you're basically getting the same thing on both necks, just a different key. If I was gigging with it personally it would not justify lugging around a doubleneck, I'd just relearn the positions in one or the other tuning if possible.

That's also an advantage at the same time...any form you play on one neck works on the other. So if you're supporting a singer and need another neck as, well, a fancy capo, it'd be useful

Another thing you give up with a high G C13 is that low 68 or 70 gauge bass C. But the Bb is definitely more utilitarian. I think that's the Junior Brown C13.

If I played A6 I think I'd put G on the bottom string just because I like that on C13 so much. Great chordal options. Anyway just my thoughts...
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 7:18 pm     So.... what about C6 on one...

and the Leon E13 on the other?

I'm still pretty new to steel. I need, value, and trust the opinions of you experienced cats.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2019 7:41 am    

On My Deluxe Eight I switch between C6 with E on top to A6 with E on top. No string changing. Jerry Byrd to Herb Remington. I guess I just find restringing for two tunings, both with the 5th on top, to be redundant unless you really need the key of C for repertoire.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2019 9:53 am    

I tried A6 with F# on top. It confused me, so I went back to the E on top. Lots of open strings for playing in A, D, E, and G. Retunes easily to C6 with E on top, as others have suggested, which lends open strings to keys related to C.

I would go with the straight 6th tuning (A or C) on one neck, and E13th on the other for when you need extended chords and different options for single note runs.