| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ray Qualls
Douglas Cole

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 8:17 am    

Our dear brother, Raymond passed at 8:57 Friday night, September 13, 2019. He is no longer suffering. I will post details of his celebration of life when plans are completed. Thank all of you for your prayers and thoughts for him.
Ray was instrumental in starting both the Siloam Springs, AR club and the Baxter Springs, KS club. He was a mentor to many steelers and a friend to all. He will be missed, but will always be remembered.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 8:27 am    

Deepest sympathies to Ray's family. Ray will be missed and definitely left his mark in the steel guitar community in our area.
Larry Garrett

Siloam Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 8:47 am    

I'm sorry for this sad news. Crying or Very sad Ray introduced me to steel guitar and was a great encourager. RIP ol' buddy. See you by and by....
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 9:13 am    

Yes, Ray was always very helpful to anyone interested in Steel Guitar.
He had a music store there in Baxter Springs for a while.
Ray was the one that pulled everything together on these shows back when they started.
he was a great man to me and many, and will always live in my heart. God bless the family.
Leland Ogle

Baxter Springs, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 11:03 am    

Ray was my older brother. I always admired him and his love for the steel guitar and the many people who came to the shows. I will do my best to honor Ray by keeping the Baxter Springs Route 66 show the way Ray started it many years ago. I love ya brother Ray.
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 4:02 pm    

Ray made a great contribution to the steel guitar community both in N E Ok and S E Kansas and will be missed !!!!
Curt Shoemaker

Ionia, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 6:15 pm    

Ray was a good friend, and will be greatly missed in the steel guitar world. My condolences to his family.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 10:45 pm    

Sorry to hear this sad news! Ray Qualls was one of The Good Guys! When I first started hosting our Steel Guitar Shows in 2006, I would contact Ray and he would always give sound advice. I patterned my Annual Steel Guitar Show after the Siloam Springs Arkansas and Baxter Springs Steel Guitar Shows. Ray was an early guest on my first show. We had a lot of good talks and laughs. My son Zane Wood and I send our condolences and prayers to his Family and Many Friends! RIP my Friend Ray Qualls!
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 5:01 am    

Ray will be missed by all the steel community. The Baxter Springs Kansas show is my favorite and a fine example of Rays commitment to all things steel guitar related. My prayers and condolences to the family and friends. RIP. Ray.
Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 5:38 am    

Terry and I will miss our freind. Always looked forward to seein Ray in Baxter Springs.Rest peacefully my freind.

Owasso,OK
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 6:10 am     Ray Qualls

Such sad news that Ray is no longer with us. I have so many fond memories of time spent with Ray. I had the privilege of knowing him for many years. Ray talked me into playing my first steel show in Siloam Springs Arkansas. We often joked about being brothers with different parents. I called him my older brother because he was about a week older than me. I know Ray will be missed by so many but most of all by his family that he loved so much. May God be with them and help them thru this time of sorrow. Clovis
Dick Hitchcock

Wayne, Nebraska
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 6:37 am    

I played my first show in Baxter Springs thanks to Ray. What a kind and humble man. Rest in peace my newfound friend!

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 7:28 am    

My condolences to the Quall’s family...Ray was a fine gentleman and steel guitar player. Carl Williams
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 10:18 am    

So sorry for the loss of Ray. He was a kind gentle man. He will be missed greatly.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 11:12 am    

Very, very sad news. I got to know Ray because of Don Tummons. Don payed bass for Ray and Norma for a couple of years in a nightclub in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I played in several bands with Don for many years, until his death 17 years ago. Ray also remembered me when I played at the largest night club in Joplin, Little Nashville. Ray also knew me when I played for Dewayne Bowman for a time. Ray was always a gentleman, and a friend. Really sad news!
Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 12:02 pm    

R.I.P. Ray. Great person and player
Prayers up for all the family!!
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 2:54 pm     Ray

Ray was a good man and friend to all. He and I dealt many times without a ripple of trouble. He will be missed by us all.
Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 6:11 pm    

Ray was a very dear friend of mine and Barbara. He will surely be missed. Our prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace dear friend go be with Our Dear Lord.
....Roy and Barbara
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 6:26 pm    

Prayers are sent for ray and family

P.w
Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 7:25 pm    

Just found out about Ray's passing. A great gentleman and player. May God bless you and your family. Wes

siloam springs ar
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2019 6:56 am    

Ray and I had a long talk about three weeks ago and he was looking forward to the steel show. There will always be the bond we had for each other.I'm not saying good-bye but I'll see ya later!! He will be missed but I'm so glad he's not in pain anymore. RIP Ray.
Richard Ingley

Bowie, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2019 11:00 pm    

Albert and Debbie Talley and the Texas Steel Guitar Association wish to express our sympathy to
Ray's family and friends and express our appreciation for all he did to further the steel guitar world. He was a great person and will be greatly missed.
Roger Osbourn

Siloam Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2019 5:29 pm    

Oh my. My heart is crushed. Norma Jean told me Ray was very ill and I've been dreading this news. Ray was like a big brother to me and I sure loved the guy. He sold me my first steel guitar (a BMI S10) and through him I have been able to become friends with many precious folks in the music world. He was a gifted musician and very humble about it. He was very quick to praise and encourage others. Ray and Norma Jean filmed and edited two 30 minute show of my dad and I performing with Jenee Keener (she was 13 back then) and Donley Harrington.They had a weekly broadcast of music shows that played over local cable channel 4 and Ray promoted many local musicians with that show. He will be missed by all of us that knew him. I wish I could just see him one more time.
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limits.

Last edited by Roger Osbourn on 21 Sep 2019 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 7:48 pm    

Ray was one of the good ones!!! Even though I would only see him once a year at the Baxter Springs show, he always treated me like an old friend.

He was such a great guy!!!

Casey
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 8:00 pm    

Man, I just seen this. Ray always treated me as a friend and with the upmost respect. Although I haven't done the Baxter show in years we did talk on the phone once in a while. Ray was a good man and will be missed. RIP my friend.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.