| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Danny Shields' guitar
Tony Russell

North of England
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 7:01 am    

I'm looking for some history on my guitar. It's a D-11 keyless red Sierra with Danny Shields' name on the front apron; picture attached.
I bought this a few years ago in England and lately decided to find out all I can about it's history. It's from the "fold-up" legs period and has a keyless head operated by the tuning wrench; also several coil taps and knobs on the endplate, some of them doing nothing by now!
I like it a lot and it's my go-to PSG because the 11 strings give me a high G and a (first string) D on C6th.
Can anyone chirp in with any information - like, was it made for Danny Shields, when would that be, what happened to it that it ended up in England?
(PS - I did start by making a search on his name but didn't find the info. I was looking for)

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 8:51 am    

Danny lived in Portland Oregon, home of Sierra guitar. He had his fingers in many guitar brands over many decades. He was the S in MSA, made his own steels, worked with Zane Beck and pickups for ZB’s, the same with Sierra. He was a pickup guru and everyone in the steel world knew it.

He was a great friend to the steel community here and across the country. He spent his early years hanging around with Buddy and Jimmy Day and had story after story to tell.

He was also the master of the “one liner” jokes, he would make your cheeks just burn from laughing.

We all miss him even as I write this.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Tony Russell

North of England
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 1:15 pm    

Thanks Larry, that's the kinda stuff what I want to hear, anybody got some more? Or know something about this particular guitar Smile

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 1:57 pm    

If you can get in touch with Tom Baker or Ed Packard they might know the Danny Shields Sierra story.

I'm quite sure Tom was involved with Sierra during those years and possibly Ed. I don't have any contact info for either of these though, but I think they posted here on the forum a few years ago.

Bill Stafford might also have some insight as he endorsed Sierra during that era. He is a forum member.

Interesting guitar. I'd never seen or heard about it before now. It appears to have the second generation gearless tuners, but unusual fretboards that do not indicate 25" scale.

I'm interested to know the history as well.
Tony Russell

North of England
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 1:29 am    

The scale of this one is 24in. Is that unusual for Sierras? Or does it help to date this one?
(Sent PM to Ed P. as suggested, just waiting for reply).

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 4:25 am     Met Danny years ago

Met Danny years ago when I took a friend up to Sierra in Portland to get his new custom Sierra steel. Spent a few days there and he was a real nice guy. Told loads of stories and sure enough could keep you laughing. I'm sure the people who were closest to him miss his presence often.

North of England? I was born in Oldham. My folks were from Manchester.
Have a half brother who now lives in Wales but often comes to visit me here in Saigon. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 6:56 am    

Tony Russell wrote:
The scale of this one is 24in. Is that unusual for Sierras? Or does it help to date this one?
(Sent PM to Ed P. as suggested, just waiting for reply).

24 in. scale was the norm on all the series guitars up until the "Crown 25" in the late 80s, early 90s. These had the numbers 25 on the 12th fret marker.

The first series of Crown guitars, which came out around 1983 were 24". The Crown series are gearless guitars. Keyed guitars of the same era were named Royalty even though folks still erroneously lump all pre Session guitars into the Crown group.

The first Crown gearless guitars had the 3 rows of tuners that had the same appearance as normal keys, but were actually just screws that sat on a lever similar to the later styles.

Since Danny was involved with Sierra, your guitar may have been prototypical or custom built just for him with the white fretboards. I can't see the tuners on your guitar very well, but they appear to be later...different from the early 3 row style. I don't see the pickup door either. Do the pickups slide in and out?

Lengthy post, I know, just to say 24 in. scale was normal up until the "Crown 25" series, but maybe this will give you some insight into Sierra's history of the 80s and 90s.

You have a treasure there with Danny Shields personal guitar. Not another one like it anywhere.

Hope you find out it's history.
Tony Russell

North of England
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 7:41 am    

Thanks again for the input Jerry. The tuners are two rows of machine screws with brass hex tops operated by the same wrench as the pedal/KL tuners. The pickups are fixed, no door - so not the interchangeable type.
I'm certainly happy to have, and look after, this guitar. Other brands have come and gone but this is the keeper! Still can't figure how and when it got to England though!
Got some close ups, post tomorrow (UK time!)

North of England
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 1:33 am    

Here are some close-ups showing keyhead, replacement locking lever for legs, and pickups with adjustable polepieces.