| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String Management
Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 9:17 pm    

How do you buy and store your strings?

Do you buy them in sets, or individually?

Well in advance, or just in time?

How old would they need to get before you wouldn't use them?

I have more than one 10 string and 12 string guitars. I use a plain 6th on two guitars, and wound on the others.

I keep a range of gauges from 10.5-54 and I try to ensure I have at least three of each in my Tupperware container at home and a full set to suit whatever guitar i'm playing in my gigbag.

I buy them in multiples of singles (no-one puts together the sets I use). I keep silicon moisture absorbers in the Tupperware box (my local shoe store gives them to me out of their new shoes boxes)

I buy all my strings from Bob, so he could probably tell tales on how infrequently I change my strings! I would top up my Tupperware box maybe twice a year

I'm due for a couple of restrings - better order some more!
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 10:07 pm     String Management

Back when I was playing and gigging as S10, I bought my strings from a local steel guitarist. I bought 2 sets at a time and 3rd and 5th extras and kept them in a plastic bag with Silica Jel packs for rust prevention.

When I went to S12U in Dec. 2017, I order 6 sets of SIT's at a time. About 6 months ago SIT went to their new sealed string envelopes and sealed set envelopes with VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor). They keep well. And are shiney when opened for installation. When I use my last single string in a paper envelope my plastic bag will become history too.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 10:50 pm    

About fifteen years ago, I bought a HUGE batch of GHS Boomer sets for electric guitar – they were on sale at StewMac for around $2 per set. 3 or 4 left, still like brand new – just kept in their plastic sleeves, stored in a box in a cupboard.

Last edited by Per Berner on 8 Dec 2019 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 10:50 pm    

I change strings about once a month. I practice at least an hour every day, usually closer to 2. Doesn’t matter whether I’m gigging or not, the wear and tear is about the same. I think I could probably go longer, but changer finger maintenance requires removing strings anyway, so...

JustStrings nickelwound in bulk plastic bag packaging, 6 sets at a time, is what I have been doing. I’m currently experimenting with 3 sets of very nicely packaged D’Addario NYXL’s from b0b, to see if the cost is worth it. Jury still out. I am never without at least two full sets, and the usual extra plain strings.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 3:18 am    

I buy (George L's) sets a dozen at a time. When I moved to Florida I was concerned with the high humidity and vacuum sealed them using my wife's kitchen vacuum sealer. Later I just left them in the plastic envelopes they come in and it didn't make any difference.

When I was on the road I changed every 10 shows. That was more to help prevent a string break on a show as it was because they were dead. I average 8 shows a month, now, so its every 2 months at the most for string changes.
Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 6:19 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
I change strings about once a month. I practice at least an hour every day, usually closer to 2. Doesn’t matter whether I’m gigging or not, the wear and tear is about the same. I think I could probably go longer, but changer finger maintenance requires removing strings anyway, so...

JustStrings nickelwound in bulk plastic bag packaging, 6 sets at a time, is what I have been doing. I’m currently experimenting with 3 sets of very nicely packaged D’Addario NYXL’s from b0b, to see if the cost is worth it. Jury still out. I am never without at least two full sets, and the usual extra plain strings.

I've been very happy with the NYXLs on my regular guitars. Let us know your final verdict for steel please.

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 12:41 am    

I keep my strings in a plastic box that I bought at "Office Depot"I keep Pedal Steel strings,Dobre,Acoustic guitar,and Electric strings.Works great.

Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 1:31 am    

Mine is a smaller version of that

http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 4:17 am    

I *try* to keep complete sets for one instrument in a gallon size ziplock bag, and then try to separate all my ball end singles by gauge, roughly .017 and under then larger gauge unwounds then small gauge wounds for electric together and small gauge bronze wounds together etc.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 5:34 am    

I store these Juststring dozen packs stapled onto a 'tree'. Each pack has a couple of silicone dessicants. It has been a fine system for a bunch of years. I carry a CD wallet with gig-spares.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 5:46 am    

Get with Bill Ferguson here on the Forum if you need sets made to your specific gauges.