| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String strength
Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 7:44 am    

Can anyone please tell me how much tension you need for a pull release type changer,to hold the fingers central,
Just to add I am using separate springs for the two E lowers,without any problems,and the steel plays just great,the problem is the E lever that raises up to F are coming back a little sharp,not a big problem because if I give the E lower knee lever a little push the string returns to pitch.
There is slack in the raises to allow the two E to lower and I have oiled the rollers and the changer but It has not cured the irritating problem.Any help would be very much appreciated....

Cheers..

Cheers..Jimmy..

Last edited by Jimmy Gibson on 16 Aug 2019 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 10:07 am    

Not sure what you mean by central. A string is either pulled or released. Average string tension is typically around 25lb
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 11:34 pm    

To hold the finger in the central position, a spring (usually an extension spring, sometimes a torsion spring) is required.

This spring has to be strong enough to withstand the string tension (Ian is correct at about 25 lbs), and is best determined by trial and error, as the location of the spring in the pull-chain can make a lot of difference.