| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rebuild National Console
Vernon N. Holt

Battlefield, MO USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 11:34 am    

Where can I get an 1950's National Console rebuilt or refurbished? Paint is chipped and pickups need to be rewound. Case needs to be refinished on the outside.
Vernon N. Holt

Battlefield, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2019 12:59 pm     National Rebuild Qustion

No response shows lack of information. Please close.
Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 11:25 pm    

It is a shame no-one has answered - even reference to Jason Loller for rewinding of the pickups as his name crops up every time a pickup rewind is mentioned.

The question I ask is have you thought of doing it up yourself. I have two National Consoles one of which was in a bad state so was stripped down, paint stripped, resprayed and put back together. I did post the process with loads of photographs in Lap Steel Lunatics on Facebook a few month ago. Another who did the same was RL Rainwater and he had photos on the site as well. Might be worth a go if you feel confident.

Battlefield, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 5:06 am     National Rebuild

Thanks Mick, I'll give it a go! What bothers me most is the pickups. I think they need rewinding. I know I can't do that. The reset would be easy once I figure out how to separate the cream from the brown sections.
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 10:37 am     Re: National Rebuild

Vernon N. Holt wrote:
once I figure out how to separate the cream from the brown sections.

My National console had chrome buttons on the wood block closest to the player which turned out just to be friction held hole plugs. Removing those revealed screw heads which, when removed, allowed the removal of that first block. That revealed additional screws or bolts that held the remaining pieces together. In looking at online pictures, it seems that some of the consoles don't have those chrome buttons, in which case I have no idea. I hope they aren't glued!

I've used tombrantleyrewinds.com for Fender and Carvin rewinds. I expect that he has encountered National pickups.

Good luck!
Vernon N. Holt

Battlefield, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 1:19 pm     National Rebuild

Thanks Mick, Mine has no buttons. I think its glued Crying or Very sad I may have a go at it anyway. Maybe I can tape off the different colors.
David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 2:59 pm    

Vernon, mine has no buttons either. My pickups are also very weak and need a rewind. I think mine is'49. The necks are held to the body with dowels I think. I read somwhere a guy glued the necks to the center block directly and lost a lot of sustain. Probably read it here on the forum.
Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2019 10:26 pm    

On mine the front and rear panels are held on with wooden dowels. Some say these are glued but mine appeared to be a very tight friction fit. I was able to gently pry them off. Give them a pull and hopefully you should find a little gap appear into which you should be able to insert a suitable implement.

Once the front and rear panels are off you will find three very long bolts with nuts that extend through both guitars and the control panel. Undo and remove these and the guitar will fall apart.