| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cindy Cashdollar Remington Trip 8 Guitar Value Question...
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 7:02 pm    

Hey, guys...

Been rustling with a question: Would the fact that a Remington T8 guitar was made for and played by Cindy Cashdollar (in it's original roadcase, custom with wheels for Cindy), increase the value of the guitar?

My gut tells me... maybe a bit?

I was placing the value at a Remington Tomnemaster D8 at about $800-$1,000

--without connecting her name.

Lemme know what you think!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Last edited by Mark Helm on 27 Jul 2019 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 10:03 pm    

Yes! She is among the best known and most respected living NP steel players.
Jim
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 10:11 pm     Yup...

Jim Rossen wrote:
Yes! She is among the best known and most respected living NP steel players.
Jim

Thanks, Jim! I know exactly who she is. My question is, does it increase the value?

So... You wanna buy her Remington T8 guitar w/ roadcase for for $2,500?!?
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 10:27 pm    

IMHO, no. I don't think there is any steel guitar player whose name adds value to their instruments, as none are household names. Cindy would be a good candidate, but the reality is, your market, if you pay more for the name of the former owner, would be steel guitar players who want a collectible instrument, and have no intentions of selling. That is a very tiny market, even assuming it exists.

I think someone would pay a bit more for Buddy Emmons' "Blade" pedal steel, but it won't be me. Someone was trying to sell his dobro for a good bit more than he paid for it a while back, and got no takers. I owned Tommy White's Burgundy MSA that he played for a while on the Grand Ole Opry. I paid pretty much fair market value when I bought it, and when hurricane Irma forced me to sell it to continue to eat, I sold it for fair market value.

These people are all great steelers, and all heroes of mine. But for an instrument to have additional value because someone famous played it, that person should be known to the general public, not just steel guitar players.

I, of course, could be wrong about this. One way to find out is to try to sell it, and see what you get. I'd suggest you should have something proving provenance - letter from the musician, bill of sale or letter from the builder, photos (but the guitar needs to be unique enough to be recognizable), etc.

Good luck with your sale, but don't be surprised if you only get fair market value of the steel, with no bonus for a previous owner.

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 2:36 am    

David Gilmour Shocked

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 4:13 am    

Tom Snook - exactly - I thought about mentioning that, but decided not to. But I think Pink Floyd falls into that "household name" category. Still, if you had asked me if I knew who David Gilmour was before that auction, I'd have been clueless. But I was never a Pink Floyd fan. And there is no way I thought those steel guitars would go for anywhere near the prices they fetched - so I could be wrong about Mark's Cindy Cashdollar guitar as well. I can tell you this - I'd rather listen to her play steel than David Gilmour!

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 5:51 pm     You guys are amazing!

Thanks, guys-- It's not my guitar, actually... it's a friend's. I'm just trying to help out.

And you're right: the fact that a crappy Fender copy goes for thousands, JUST because Gilmour played it, is nuts-o.

I'd rather hear Cindy, too. I love me some Floyd, but NOT for the steel guitar playing Laughing
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2019 8:31 am    

Depends on the provenance too... is there a certificate? Signature? I have a Cashdollar-signed PBS-8 and, while proud to own it, I don't consider it worth more than a normal guitar. She was hesitant to sign it until I pointed out that it was made offshore and not expensive.