| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What wuz that steel???
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 2:25 pm    

A friend of mine saw a couple of pedal steels at a flea market near Richmond, Va. on Sunday and told me about them. One was a Multikord 6 string 4 pedal and the other was an Emmons S-10 with 4 pedals and one knee lever. He asked me what they were worth so I said I'd like to see them first. We made the trip today and I'm not sure what I saw... I thought by having 4 FP and one KL that this might be one of those old Emmons S-10's that came with 5 pedals and no knee levers and might be worth the money (He wanted $400 for it) but I was disapointed when I saw it. It looks to have an Emmons fretboard and the raised logo on the front. The bellcranks and all seemed to be Emmons as well as the pickup but I'm not sure of the rest. The body was all wood (neck too) but the fretboard was raised just a little over a quarter inch and the body was natural wood with no inlay or anything. There was no metal plate on top and the changer went into a slot in the wood on top. The endplates were brushed like aluminum and not shiny at all. The one knee lever was a ShoBud lever and seemed to operate well. The guitar was tuned to C6th. The floor pedals did the standard 6th moves as far a I could tell with the exception of the "BooWah" pedal as the low string was tuned to A and the 1st string to E. I assume it was sort of a "Chalker" type C6th. The guitar seemed to me to maybe be an Emmons Student Model which was converted to C6th some way. The pedal board was also made of natural wood and the 4 pedals were all black and narrow without the usual wider brushed aluminum type pad usually on them. Can anyone post a picture of an Emmons student model to compare? I called Kenny Dail while looking at the guitar and he seemed to think it might be a permanent setup guitar or something as it only had one lever for each string. Would something like this be worth the $400? Thanks, in advance.....JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 4:32 pm    

Jerry, that sounds like the Emmons student model GS-10, also known as a "Black Rock", or maybe "Black Sheep" . Definitely a cheaply made guitar, but probably worth $400 for it's name alone in most people's opinion (after all, it is an "Emmons"). The changer's decent, and there's no such thing as a guitar that can't be modified from E9th to C6th, it's just a little more challenging when parts are welded or incomplete!

As far as the S8+4 Multi-Kord, I was following one on one on ebay that went for almost $600. It was a nice example, but I wasn't prepared for that kind of price! Guitars are "worth" exactly as much as some fool will pay, and there's no shortage of fools, evidently.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 28 June 2006 at 05:38 PM.]

Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 12:56 pm    

If I had more cash, I would be interested in a cheap little C6 guitar...sounds kind of cool!!!

Casey

------------------
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"

Carter-Starter, Fender Pedal 800, Fender Champion, Guyatone Double-neck, a cheap Artisan & a Homemade Double-neck!