| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster Tone cap Replacement
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 12:21 pm    

Hey All,

I have 1956 Stringmaster, the tone control operates, but only has a minor effect on the tone. When turned down it acts more like a volume control. I am guessing the tone cap is the culprit and needs to be replaced. Does that make sense or should I consider replacing the pot as well? Any thoughts on what value and type of tone cap to use.

Best regards.
G. Elwyn
John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 4:33 am    

Here's the wiring diagram for the 1957 two neck. Original cap value was .05 mfd. Modern equivalent is .047 mfd. If the original paper/wax capacitor is still in there, then it should be replaced on general principles. A paper cap that old is almost certainly leaky and is functioning as a resistor rather than a capacitor. Any type other than a ceramic disc, mica or electrolytic is OK. Audiophiles will argue for days about the tonal response of various capacitor types. My take is that you may be able to measure a minute difference with some sophisticated and sensitive lab equipment but you and I (especially me after flying as a crew member on noisy military transports for the past 55 years) will never hear it.

There are quite a few YouTube videos on the subject but you can just throw a Sprague Orange Drop in it and be happy for years.