| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic

When did you stop listening to new music?
I listen to new music often
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
I rarely listen anymore
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
Not in the last 5 years
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Not in the last 10 years
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
I've heard all the music that I want to hear
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 43

Author Topic:  When did you stop listening to new music?
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2019 6:02 pm    

I haven't listened to the radio since the mid nineties. I couldn't name you a single Keith Urban song or Jason Aldean song or FLGA Line song or a Rascal Flatts song. I couldn't pick Eric Church out of a lineup. I was lucky enough to live and work through the last half of the twentieth century when creative popular music blossomed and before it was crushed by technology and other factors. I've heard all the music that I want to hear.

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2019 11:22 pm    

I don't deliberately listen to pop radio, but I do pick up current albums by my favorite artists and on trusted reviews. If I didn't, I'd have missed Mike Neer's "Thelonious", Mike Daly's "Renascence" and Bill Frisell's "Space Age Guitar", to name a few. Plus there are some rock artists I enjoy, like Wilco and Jack White. There are even a few gems on Paul McCartney's latest double album (plus some crap - what was he thinking?).

I hope I never have to stop listening to new music. Every decade has musical masters and masterpieces, including this one.

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 2:02 am    

I don't listen to commercial "country" radio anymore. Haven't for many years. Most of my radio listening is Willie's Place on satellite radio.

At 81 I come from a different era and even bypassed/missed the rock revolution.
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 7:33 am    

It doesn't hurt to scroll through radio stations while you're driving every now and then. It doesn't have to feel like work... if the song doesn't appeal to you within a few second, just go on to the next station. That said, in my experience what's more likely to happen is that I'll hear a song from 20 or 30 years ago that'll jog my memory and get me re-interested in it. What I've also found is that every now and then a pop song of whatever genre will come out where even if you don't like the song as a whole, you can appreciate some of remarkable little hooks, production techniques, etc.

Even though Jack and I are years apart, we're on the same page with Willie's Place. I don't have satellite radio in my vehicle, but when I'm driving a rental with one, that seems to be a station I always end up on and leave it there.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 7:49 am    

Quote:
At 81 I come from a different era and even bypassed/missed the rock revolution.

Totally understandable Mr.Stoner.

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 8:20 am    

Curt Trisko wrote:
Even though Jack and I are years apart, we're on the same page with Willie's Place. I don't have satellite radio in my vehicle, but when I'm driving a rental with one, that seems to be a station I always end up on and leave it there.

I always end up on The Beatles channel. Laughing

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 11:56 am    

If I'm not listening to CD's in the car, I'll usually tune in on some Reggae or Mexican music. Country music on regular radio and TV kinda went to hell after the Randy Travis boom in the '90s, and the pop stuff hasn't really been any good since the '70s.

I've listened to the satellite radio "country channels" but they're too limited in the number of songs they play. You hear the same stuff played day after day, and week after week.

I checked out Pandora, and they don't have much, either (except for the pop and vocal stuff). Yeah, they've got 41 gazillion songs...but no Herby Wallace, no Julian Tharpe, no Stu Basore, no Larry Sasser, no Bobby Garrett, etc. etc.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 2:04 pm    

There is 1 FM country station near here which has a decent number of older songs in the rotation (plus an hour noon-1PM with just oldies). So it's a toss-up when I hit the button whether I hear something I like, or not.

The other area stations I might occasionally poke the button for, but almost always I wind up quoting Dale Watson: "Country, my a$$!"

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 4:15 pm    

I have found my tastes in music have shifted many times over the years. As a teen, I was into Bluegrass (influenced initially by the Circle Album, but growing up in NC there was lots of home-grown bluegrass everywhere back then), and also lots of folk-rock like CSNY. In college I got into jazz and fusion. in my 30's and 40's I was listening to Afro-pop and Brazilian (Most Americans think all Brazilian music is Bossa Nova - they could not be further from the truth! I preferred Axe, Forro, and some other regional varieties of Brazilian music that combined traditional with modern elements). Also, around this point in time, Lucinda Williams (still relatively unknown at that time, but about to break out), and the early reincarnation being called "Americana" got me back closer to my rural roots. Perhaps I closed that circle when I bought a dobro 8 months ago?

So, probably the last time I actively sought out new music was 10 years ago, when I was still looking for original-sounding Brazilian and Afro-pop tunes.

I have realized that "new" and "new to me" are really basically the same thing. I disliked traditional country back when it was "new country" when I was a kid, so did not listen. Now, it is "new" to me, so I love listening to it.

I think some of what I have experienced is a result of technology. When I was a kid, if you carried a case with 60 cassette tapes in your car, you had a HUGE music collection. Maybe most of us had 100 albums at home? Today my music collection is over 300 GB, or about 90k files. Youtube gives me access to even more.

While I have not really sought out new music in a number of years now, living in St John and driving an "island jeep" with a beat up old radio, I would tune into the country station from St Croix when driving, and discovered this tune, which got lots of playing time 9 months ago (Drinking Problem):

https://youtu.be/g7f6HiQ2LuU

It was discussed on the forum here:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=316438

It's an OK song, but an excellent earworm! So there is still the occasional new song that can entice.

Various places
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 3:06 am    

I listen to the radio when I drive. There is still good new music being made and played on radio.

The great old music I love is the best of what was made in its time. I tend to forget the old dreck.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 10:54 am    

The trap hat beats that are coming out of Nashville these days are just a last chance effort to keep the big label model going, imo.. Pretty much every other trend in music from any genre, or era, had something unique, original, and fresh that kicked off the trend.

I think a pretty big change is about to happen in the music industry with AI. Pretty soon you're going to be able to say, "Ok Google, play something that sounds like Jason Aldean and Art Tatum, but with lots of pedal steel and jaw harp", and it will. The biggest record deal signed in the past year was for a computer algorithm, not a band or solo act.

That said, there is plenty of new stuff I'm into. But it's all over the place... From Zephaniah O'hora to Tame Impala.
Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 5:35 am     The truth is out there!

IIstill listen to lots of new music. There is great stuff out there in all genres, it’s just not on the radio. If you look it will be there.

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 6:48 pm    

b0b wrote:
I don't deliberately listen to pop radio, but I do pick up current albums by my favorite artists and on trusted reviews. If I didn't, I'd have missed Mike Neer's "Thelonious", Mike Daly's "Renascence" and Bill Frisell's "Space Age Guitar", to name a few. Plus there are some rock artists I enjoy, like Wilco and Jack White. There are even a few gems on Paul McCartney's latest double album (plus some crap - what was he thinking?).

I hope I never have to stop listening to new music. Every decade has musical masters and masterpieces, including this one.

I'm with you, b0b. As I'd mentioned in another post, I have fairly eclectic, if not esoteric music interests. Over the years I've amassed a sizable music library which can keep me happy for a long time without ever switching on the radio. The music library on my computer will allow me to play music without repeating any song for over 45 days, non-stop). And BTW, I refuse to have any of the music on the cloud, I have the entire library as well as all other proprietary data on a separate back-up drive - I guess I'm 'old-school', hah!

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 8:07 pm    

It depends what you mean by “new music”.
If you mean the anthem rock Nashville pop river dance formulaic crap,
I don’t listen at all.
But there’s a bunch of great new music out there also. It just doesn’t get air time on the usual commercial radio or sat radio venues.
I put 10 years on the survey, but really it’s been forever. Or it’s been today because I surf sat radio while driving.
What are your favorite sat radio channels?

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 6:03 am    

God there's so much good music made nowadays. I don't think it's inferior to the past. What is sad is that the good stuff is not more popular. Definitely not as cutting edge as it used to be and a lot of stuff either reflects or is a new take on old music, but some of that stuff is just unbelievably good.

Something traditionalish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r6WSUlvQ20

Something modern:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1I3jT5tZwY
Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2019 6:04 am    

I do know in my own life that podcasts and general internetting and being busy and wasting my life has taken away from my own music listening, but I'm really trying to cut back on that stuff because music is better.
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 4:44 am    

I listen to new music, but it's new music -to me-. It doesn't matter when it was released. So when I recently found Santo and Johnny's "Thousand Miles Away", it was new to me. The past five years or so I've discovered and macerated myself in the symphonies of Gustav Mahler....new to me, not new in any other sense. It "helps" that I tend to approach music with a bit of a bias that even in most eras and genres, 90% of the stuff was derivative rubbish, so if you want good music, you have to seek it out, whether modern or otherwise.

As far as modern/newly released stuff...I found Larkin Poe from this site, and they are a very talented group, saw them in Salina. Still kind of "older music influenced", admittedly. For a more modern sound, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories from 2013 (so yes, not that new I suppose) is fantastic, I think. Even has some lap and pedal steel work woven in there, discreetly enough that I didn't pick up on it the first time.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 9:11 am    

I like the “new” versus “new to me” distinction, as well as what Paul McAvoy was saying about new music being derivative of older music. I also hear new things now in music I am very familiar with but have not listened to in decades because the records are all scratched up (thank you, Napster). I also listen to new stuff to learn because the band wants to play it.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 9:23 am    

Electro Monk definitely qualifies as "New Music". https://gregott-lionelwendling.bandcamp.com/releases. A great new album! Very Happy

I hope that there's always new music. Music is an infinite artform. What's popular is only a small fraction of what's possible. This is an exciting time for musicians. We can pick up internet radio stations from around the world. We can even broadcast home recordings to a global audience. This is new!

If you think that new music is just what the big media corporations are spoon-feeding to their target demographics, you need to turn off your TV. Laughing

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 9:45 am    

Right on, b0b. I figured out a long time ago (in ancient times, before internet and satellite radio) that one lifetime would never be enough to listen to everything that’s been done before and try to play something that hasn’t. Too many geniuses out there.
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 6:16 pm    

I listen to new music in a very casual way. Normally in the car.

Tom Keller
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 7:53 pm    

I stopped intentionally listening to pop music about the time I stopped playing in "cover bands" ~ 1980's ~ 1990's ~ But you can't just hide your head (ears) in the sand completely... I still hear modern music in stores, movies, TV shows, Youtube, commercials etc.
It's everywhere. not much is interesting, but occasionally a good new song comes along.

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 7:55 pm    

Everybody here would love KTNK. They are AM (!) and FM out of Lompoc CA - a real radio station, and I listen to them in Chicago via the Tune-in app in my car. They even play my band once in awhile.
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5. Both amazing guitars! Homemade buffer/overdrive with adjustable 700Hz "Fender" scoop., Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x TDA7294 80W class AB amps, or 2x BAM200 for stereo. TT12 and BW1501 each in its own closed back wedge. Also NV400 etc. etc...
William Davis

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 12:55 pm    

Hey Douglas, I grew up in NC too amidst blues, British Invasion, bluegrass festivals and such. Spent time in Brasil and the Virgin Is. as well soaking it in.

I'm all over the place listening. My choice is usually old or obscure, but the kids blast all manner of Pop, and I do like some of it. I just try to keep an open ear. For new stuff, lots of Americana (yep, another label) bands are excellent. And for retro, don't miss the Malpass Brothers with Clyde Mattocks.
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 12:13 am    

I've always been sort of a throw back. When most people my age were playing punk rock or southern rock, I was playing Chuck Berry, George Jones and Dick Dale. I quit listening to contemporary music radio about the time Journey hit the air, although the country stations were still bearable at that time.

I remember being excited when George Straight came around in the early 80s, as I had a particular distaste for the whole "urban cowboy" thing that had been happening. I remember thinking: "My god, they've got Conway Twitty singing pop music!" At least George Jones never really failed to come through.

There is still a country radio station here in Union county (by country, I mean that it has a real old time country flavor to it, as well as playing classic country & western music) called WIXE (or Wixie) that I still listen too when I can pick it up.