| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NSD - chopped up hot rodded soundworks steel.
Devon Teran

Kansas City
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2019 5:47 pm    

I scored this today for $25 bucks and some stories. The seller was a super cool dude that has been around a minute and was just glad it’ll get played. He didn’t know much about who chipped it up.

As far as I can tell it’s a Chicago Sound Projects Troubadour. These seem to be made to capture on the Ric craze in the 1930s, from what I find, maybe as late as the 1960s though. It’s all metal. The original pickup is gone, which may have been peizo based. Not much info out there. Someone upgraded the tuners and put in added a BC rich bich humbucker. I thought I’d be changing it out, it so far it’s got this amazing crisp clear tone and amazing sustain. The action feels so much better than my other steel - an old magnatone that could use some help.

Pics below.

Does anyone know anything more about these steels? There’s hardly any info online I can find?

I’ll try to post some video online soon. When I fired it up I found myself instantly playing Graceland like licks with delay and chorus. Then i switched over to some dirty drive. It handled both so well. The all metal construction works so well for me.

. [img]

[/img]
Ralph Czitrom

Ringwood, New Jersey
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 3:18 am     Sound Projects lap steel

Devon - I did a little digging and found some information about Sound Projects/Lectrolab. See the article below; the link to the Robert Lurvey video referred to in the article doesn’t work, but I found the video, in which he shows his Troubabdor. (On a side note, why would anyone acquire 3,000 guitars?)

Looks like you have a very rare guitar...How about finding a matching amp? Smile

https://lectrolab.wordpress.com/lectrolab-company-info/

https://youtu.be/SoX5M1Dsv9o
Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 4:55 am    

Devon,

Whats lurking under the giant plate which houses the aftermarket pickup???

Also the numbering of the frets in the upper register should it not have been X instead of Z ??

Either way it looks like you got a "Steel"

Lee
Devon Teran

Kansas City
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 5:05 am    

Yeah. I found both of those. This section from the article got me extra curious.

Quote:
The people who started, owned, and managed the Sound Projects/Lectrolab business are unknown. 1960-era amps often have handwritten initials inside the chassis, probably from an assembler or inspector. This is as close as we’ve come to knowing the people affiliated with the company!

It makes me wonder so much more about the story of this instrument. I’ve seen a few examples of past sales, but much there either. It’s fascinating to me how many instrument makers there have been that none of us will ever know about. It’s a well built instrument. If a few notable players had picked one of them up it’s probably be worth a good amount. It almost makes me get existential about the fleeting nature of our existence and how little anyone will actually ember about any of us. Even the most documented lives we only know a tiny sliver of.
Devon Teran

Kansas City
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 5:08 am    

Yeah. I found both of those. This section from the article got me extra curious.

Quote:
The people who started, owned, and managed the Sound Projects/Lectrolab business are unknown. 1960-era amps often have handwritten initials inside the chassis, probably from an assembler or inspector. This is as close as we’ve come to knowing the people affiliated with the company!

It makes me wonder so much more about the story of this instrument. I’ve seen a few examples of past sales, but much there either. It’s fascinating to me how many instrument makers there have been that none of us will ever know about. It’s a well built instrument. If a few notable players had picked one of them up it’s probably be worth a good amount. It almost makes me get existential about the fleeting nature of our existence and how little anyone will actually ember about any of us. Even the most documented lives we only know a tiny sliver of.