| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Interesting Remington S8 "made for John Anderson"
Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 8:16 am    

There's an interesting Remington at Guitar Center online -- black, S8 and has a custom made plaque indicating it was built by Herb Remington for John Anderson (The well-known country singer? Or another John Anderson? Maybe someone on the forum knows?)

Same basic features as a Steelmaster, except it appears to be a single neck centered on a double wide slab body which I've never seen before.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In-Store-Used/Used-Remington-Steel-Lap-Steel-Black-Lap-Steel.gc

Not cheap at $999 - but unique. FYI to all...
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 26 May 2019 5:33 am    

Very nice. I don't know if too many people shop GC for steels but if it's still there in 90-150 days the manager is probably going to do some kind of price drop
Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 11:16 am    

You're right, Gene. GC does tend to drop its Vintage prices by 10-20% after a couple of months. They're pretty adamant about prices set by their Hollywood vintage department and typically won't negotiate. But this Remington is considered "used" and not "vintage" so there may be wiggle room with the store manager.

I've got some great deals from GC vintage: A 1958 8-string Magnatone G-65-8W for $420, a Remington Steelmaster D8 bundled with a Peavey Profex II unit for $495, and a near-mint green 1975 Sho-Bud Pro I for $899. Also got a recovered tweed 1960 Gibson GA-40 Les Paul Amp for $400 a few years back. It's weird - I think the vintage department sets prices based on photos and a description that come from the store - some items are wildly over or under priced.

I just put a hold on a 6-string Maggie G-70 in the less common walnut finish (most are MOTS) with the original hard shell case for $299. Lots of pick marks but should buff out. Will post some pix when it arrives.

One more thing - GC charges tax where you live and shipping, but the shipping is very cheap, especially on heavy items - usually no more than $15 or $20. Now they're mostly shipping to a nearby store for pickup; wary of deliveries getting stolen "off the front porch" is what they told me.

N
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 1:43 pm    

Yup, these days i get the feeling they don't care about selling guitars, only about selling the extended warranty on whatever.

I have lots of tragic/comic stories about buying used from them, the banjo in "Excellent" condition, unplayable because tailpiece broken, the mandolin in "Excellent" condition, desperately needing a refret, I asked one associate to remove a banjo resonator and take pix, she told me their only associate who knew how to remove a banjo resonator worked a couple days/week, so call back.

And the frequency which they post pictures of wrong products or forget to ship an instrument in its case is tragic/comic also.

But there's surprises, i've met really knowledgeable associates who went to Juilliard and Berklee and top violinmaking/lutherie schools, that's their day job while they're pursuing getting their band/guitarmaking/other business up or get a solid recording engineer job or whatever.