| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Directions on how to setup a GFI Expo X1
James Lewis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 6:03 pm    

Anybody have a link that will help me to set pedal height, proper height for the steel, proper height for the seat, how to tune the knees and pedals, etc? I have Winnie Winston’s book but I’m not sure if my guitar is an all pull or what. Thanks in advance
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 7:06 pm    

I'm fairly new and have a regular "expo." It is an all pull.

If you use a steel seat it is not adjustable but a bit higher than a regular chair(?).

Steel height should be good out of the box unless you're super tall?

Get the Peterson stobe tuner-it has presets that will let you tune the strings, as well as to tune the pedal movements as another preset (just get it and it does the work for you).

Forgive me, a newbee finally saw a post I might help with that hasn't been answered a bunch. You'll hear more from knowledged folks. And the first I heard of the "X1" Looks great.
Ted Hughes R.I.P.

Ms. USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 7:13 pm     Adjustment

All pull ! Adjust your pedals to your taste! Some players like tilting there steel more to the front and some keep it level! I prefer level but that’s my taste ! Different strokes for different folks ! Knee levers , some like short travel and some longer travel! And again to your taste ! I think carter still had a web site that can help you and GFI does too !
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 9:26 pm     Direction on how to set up an Gfi Expo XI

Call GFI They have been good to help with problems. I bought a GFI second hand and they helped me with problems when I E-Mailed them.

I can find no info on the type of changer The Expo XI has. GFI lists the changer in the X1 has 3 raise 2 lower ability which would be great. GFI lists it has Stainless fingers in the changer. I have read they use Sintered metal technology in making the fingers. The fingers are hard and the strings will not cut in like aluminum fingers.

As for Steel height. Put your favorite cowboy boots on and sit down on a chair, Does your knees fit under the steel and clear the back apron and nothing touch your legs. But your knees will contact the levers. Since you have to work on the legs and the pedal rods is not cheap to change the height of a steel.
As for seat height, You do not want a seat to tall. If the seat is to high, It can cut off circulation on the back of your thigh near your knee, Sit a long time and your leg will cause you problems when you try to stand up.

On the connector at the pedal, There is a lock nut, If you loosen the lock nut you can adjust the pedal to the height you desire. You want enough space under the pedals so the pedal will not contact any carpet if you set it up on a carpeted floor.

It is expensive to ship a steel for repair and the steel could be damaged in transit. You need to learn to work and adjust on it yourself.
Good Luck and happy travel into the world of steel guitar.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 2:20 am    

We (my Wife) have an S-10 Expo. No pedal adjustments were ever needed. Set from the factory.

As far as tuning. Tune open at the key head. Tune raises and lowers from the end. You can push a pedal or knee lever and see which one is moving on the end and know which one to adjust if needed. We use the "Newman" tuning.

For seat height, the regular steel guitar seats are at optimum height for most. Steeler's Choice and Steelseat.com are the two main seat companies.

Finally, don't try to reinvent the wheel. Its already been invented.