| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DIFFERENT question for Reece Anderson
MUSICO

Jeremy Williams in Spain
Post  Posted 4 May 2006 11:06 pm    

Different because Im not asking for the year of an MSA guitar

Hi Reece,
I saw on a recent post someone saying you had tried as an experiment playing to steelers who had their back to you....and that when you changed from one brand of steel to another they couldn´t tell the difference.

¿Is this true?

And if it is....¿Have you ever tried the same experiment with changing from a Superslide (or other lap) to a PSG played with no pedals?

Jeremy Williams
Barcelona Spain
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 9:43 am    

Musico....Thank you for your question. We have not made the same experiments with the Millennium, Legend or SuperSlide that we made back in the 70's with the older MSA's.

MUSICO

Jeremy Williams in Spain
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 11:47 am    

Thanks for the answer Reece....

It wasn´t an "old MSA"vs"New MSA"....or "Brand X"vs"Brand Y" that I was thinking of.

I am fascinated with the question "¿Does a good lap steel in good hands sound better than a good PSG played no-pedals by that same player?"

¿Any thoughts anyone?

Jeremy Williams
Barcelona Spain
Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 12:17 pm    

Musico, your question is interesting to me since I have play pedal and non-pedal for many years.

I think the differing physical designs of the two types of steel guitar promote different approaches to playing. There is greater emphasis on bar manipulation with the non-pedal steel including slants. I usually have had no trouble identifying the various players of non-pedal due to the almost instantly recognizable "personality" of their sounds. I personally have much greater difficulty distinguishing among pedal players, particularly with the E9th tuning. Jazz playing seems to be more individualistic.

I personally find myself able to concentrate more on vibrato and some of the more minute aspects of expression when playing non-pedal, since most of what's going on is with the bar. With pedals, I am trying to do my "dance" with feet, knees, and both hands without falling off my stool!

For example, Jerry Byrd's sound is so identifiable in part due to the total emphasis on touch and bar control subtleties without the "mechanical" influence of pedals.

I do think that some of the top pedal players like Maurice Anderson, Curly Chalker and others display easily identifiable "personality" in their playing. I also recognized a certain touch in Pete Drake's playing - a certain "sweetness" that said "Pete Drake" as soon as I heard it.

A great can of worms!
MUSICO

Jeremy Williams in Spain
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 12:38 pm    

Totally in agreement about non pedal players sounding different because of their different style of playing. For me their tends to be more personality in non-pedal.

But here´s the can of worms question. If a great non pedal player sat down at a pedal steel with his or her standard non pedal tuning.....and played just as they would on their lap steel....¿would I hear a difference?

Or to put it another way....If someone takes a PSG to a gig, and that PSG were tuned to the same tuning as they generally use on lap steel....would they choose to take their lap steel as well or would they just play the one guitar in the two styles.

Jeremy Williams
Barcelona Spain
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2006 10:22 am    

As i was the one on another post who talked about Reeces expermint back in the 70s let me put it another way.
If some players set with their backs to Reece and and a different steeler played the same instrument one would notice the difference right away.
Same if Curly Chalker was still with us and did the same thing it would also be noticed right away.
There was something magicial in each ones touch and attact on the strings.IMHO.Tracy