| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  6 String Lower Location
William Davis

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 12:34 pm    

My number's up to order a new Encore! So I'm deciding on the setup to fit what I'm used to and try out some new things. I've read a lot of posts and just about there. I play Day, lower E's on RKL and raise on RKR and (currently) lower S2 D# on LKR.

I' like to try the Franklin pedal on P4 (inside)and a G#-F# with a split to G. My main question: Should I use the "stock" Franklin pedal with string 6 lower or put the 6S lower on LKL...or even both? I'll probably put string 2 changes on LKL as well.

Other than a split with the B pedal, which other changes might typically be used with the 6 string lower. Considering the Day setup, I'm thinking ergonomics. I could always lower string 7 instead, but not sure where a good G would come from. Thanks for any thoughts or links.
Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 5:43 pm    

Hi William,

I've always split my Franklin pedal (a la Tommy White), with strings 5 & 10 whole tone lower on a pedal and the string 6 lower on a knee lever. I would recommend having the 6 string lower on the opposite knee moving inward as your E lowers (i.e. LKR & RKL), because you're going to use it a lot with that change, and it's really easy just to squeeze your knees together!

Let us know how you go
William Davis

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 11:02 am    

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the note, and sorry about the delay. I keep getting sidetracked. Good points. You and many others seem to be splitting the B and G# lowers, and that's what I'm going with. Lower B's on P4. I think I'm going for the G# lower on LKR as well. I'm now debating leaving the 2nd string lower on the inside also or moving it to the outside. Will see. Got a feeling I'm gonna experiment some.