| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons pickup in a Sho Bud
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 9:10 am    

Will a Emmons single coil make my bud sound like a good push pull Emmons bolt on?
Not not even close!!!! Just thought might save Someone the trouble!!!

Last edited by Johnie King on 7 Feb 2019 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 9:45 am    

Johnie,
Don't get your hopes up. Whoa!
Erv
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 10:56 am    

It will sound exactly like a Sho-Bud with an Emmons pickup
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 11:23 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
It will sound exactly like a Sho-Bud with an Emmons pickup

Pretty much.. Over the decades I have found that yes, the pickup certainly makes a difference.. many very good pedal steel guys feel it has NO effect at all.. I don't buy that logic at all.. however, it never changes it into something it isn't... I had an MSA guitar with a Sho Bud coil tap pickup in it.. It sounded good, better than the stock MSA unit, but NOT like the old 6139 it was taken from...
Had an MSA with an Emmons pick up.. Nice sounding guitar, but no it didn't sound like an emmons.. Sounded like an MSA with a nice single coil Emmons pickup instead of the stock MSA SS pickup... Had a Bud ProI with GeorgeL humbucker.. Nice guitar, but it had lost that signature "bud twang" ..It wanted its original pickup, NOT a humbucker...

That Bud will sound very good.. it has good bones.. it won't sound like an Emmons... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 1:48 pm    

it won't fit will be your first problem i think.

i have a bud and a p/p and they sound very different unplugged.
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 2:14 pm    

Yes y’all are right I know from experience that you can’t make a Emmons sound like. Sho Bud or the reverse with a pickup.So what makes them sound different both are maple both have aluminum casted end plates an key heads some have casted aluminum necks an aluminum changer parts. Maybe the casted parts are from different sources. The thickness of the cabinet is different. The old MSA has a aluminum frame but they still sound very good.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 2:45 pm    

I was at a steel show once, and there was a guy playing an Emmons p/p, but it didn't sound like an Emmons at all. The next guy up to play was playing an old Mullen, and that guitar sounded just like an Emmons! I asked my friend Curry Coster, who was also there, and has been a p/p player for decades. He agreed that the Mullen guitar had more of an "Emmons sound" to it.

Anyhow, I think that a pickup change usually makes a very subtle difference...unless you're going from a humbucker to a single-coil, or vice-versa. In that case, a pickup swap can make a very noticeable difference.
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 3:35 pm    

Get you a old Peavey ProFex II with the Newman presets. You can get that sound without changing PUP's. His presets could make any steel sound you want.
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 5:12 pm    

Johnie,

What Kevin said or get one of Brad Sarno's Revelation pre-amps. It has a three way switch that goes from dark to normal to bright. I guess it's in reverse of your original post, but having it set on dark with my Emmons gives a very convincing Sho~Bud type sound that's very Ralph Mooney"ish when picked back close to the pickup. At least to my ear anyway. When I first tried it, my initial reaction was WOW.

On the other hand, once I had a Super Pro for a brief period of time that had active EMG pickups in it. Worst sound I'd ever heard. My buddy Denny Brown installed an OLD Emmons pickup in it and it sounded way better.

Skeeter
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 11:53 am    

Usually the pickup is given too much credit in the sound of a steel guitar. I agree with just about all of the observations above. It has more to do with the mass and construction of the instrument. Some guys will insist on a certain winding, say 17.5 and accept nothing else. I find you could put a 14,000 or an 18,000 pickup in the same guitar and reach about the same tonal character using EQ. Of course, you may notice a slight difference in output.

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 2:26 pm    

Ian got it Right even Bobby Seymour agreed years ago.