| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  practice and progress
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 2:21 pm    

Being in kind of a weird spot with my studies of pedal steel, one where I have advanced knowledge of scales, melody, harmony and timing etc, yet being a total beginner at the pedal steel itself, I have found a couple things I'd like some more experienced opinions on.

1) for the first year (on an 8 string console) I spent a lot of time on right hand drills, and familiarizing myself with how chords and licks work on this type tuning.

2) Since June, with the pedal steel, I spent the first few months spending more time getting familiar with the pedals/levers and the E9 tuning - drills again.

OK. I seem to be at a stage where playing with backing/rhythm tracks is getting a little easier, and the muscle memory is coming along - the right hand is still very slow in coming though. So, I'm now finding that spending more time exploring (taking a Song, or John Hughey lick, or chord pattern, or maybe Buddy Charleton licks, and then moving into my own understanding of the thing, and improvising on my own within the chord progression etc)seems to be giving me more benefit than drilling.

Does this seem about right to anyone? Or should I keep putting more emphasis on the rudiments?
Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 5:13 pm    

That's pretty much where I am now. I'm focusing on reviewing old lesson material and learning classic steel songs, then mixing it up with my own learnings. I'm also thinking of taking Skype lessons or reaching out to one of the local pros for more lessons.

I'll be interested to hear what other more experienced players have to say.
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 5:44 pm    

You are on the right page for sure. I started playing six string lap back in 1980. Two years later I moved to my first Pedal Steel. Back at that time their was very little out there. Nothing like today. I had George Jones, Conway Twitty and Merle Haggard and some of my wives Loretta Lyn on vinyl. I played along with them, over and over and over. Now when I want to learn some new material I YouTube It. Their is even rhythm tracks on there. I have been teaching myself C6 the last couple years. I have been converting songs that I played on E9th for years into C6. My ears were always my best learning tools. I am playing a Sho Bud Super Pro D10, 8+6. You may want to check into Paul Franklins online courses. Another avenue would be some of the Jeff Newman courses that were on video. Good Luck!!!!
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 8:15 pm    

Bobby, somebody told me once that the learning process is not linear; it is cumulative. Rudiments and drills aren’t just something you do in the beginning and then forget about. There is always going to be something to gain from them. It’s one of the tools you use to move on when you reach a plateau or stumbling block, or if you notice your playing getting a little sloppy.

That first degree of confidence is so important, it’s a great feeling to get there, isn’t it! I am trying to make sure I don’t forget how I got to that point myself. It sounds to me like you are inventing your own “drills”, which is part of the fun. Keep up the good work, man Cool
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 3:00 am    

I've been thinking about some Skype lessons too Justin. There is also a forumite who lives down the road from me I'm thinking about taking a lesson or two from - just need to free up some $$.

You are right Kevin, we have great resources these days. I'm old enough to remember dropping the needle over and over again to cop licks and chords. I've got several of the Jeffran courses and rhythm tracks, and they really have been a big help. I finally enrolled in the short version of Paul Franklin's course, and got some pretty cool stuff there too.

I still drill Fred, just not all day long like I was. I got some drills from, some of Mickey's videos, off the Newman courses and, although I'm not very good at it yet, I try occasionally to use Buddy Charleton's Cool It as a drill, while learning a very cool song in the process. I'm just thinking that I'm actually learning more through exploration and creative practicing than through drilling at this point.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 8:31 am    

Times sure have changed. Aren't there any players left out there who are willing to sit down once or twice with a newbie and just show him some stuff?

(Without charging him?)
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 8:42 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Times sure have changed. Aren't there any players left out there who are willing to sit down once or twice with a newbie and just show him some stuff?

(Without charging him?)

Yes. An old friend of mine did exactly this for me just recently. For a twelver of Pacifico, I got about 3 hours worth of tips and insight, whilst bs’ing on the 25 years since we’d seen each other. Probably my most productive and enjoyable practice session in the 2+ years since I started playing. Thanks, Steve 🤠
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 9:44 am    

I wouldn't expect a stranger to do anything for nothing Donny. I just need to get my rig paid off first - and then, well, if you're married, you know how you have to keep up round the house.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 4:46 pm    

Bobby, I just wish you were nearby so I could help you a little. Maybe, someone will volunteer to help you for an hour or two, like Steve helped Fred. I know there are pros who do this, and others who rely on extra money from teaching. I'm not suggesting putting them out of business, but I was generously helped in this way long ago by players like Stu Basore, Reece Anderson, and a couple of lesser-knowns. It meant a lot to me because I didn't have a lot back then, either. (I played an old cable Fender for eight years.)
Terry Hickey

Arroyo Grande, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 11:41 pm    

Bobby, Donny helped me years ago, almost 20 now, through the Forum.
He probably won't remember the very green questions I asked but he answered all without hesitation. I always appreciated that. This forum is a great resource with people willing to help. Utube is killer for learning and exposing yourself to how others play.
Lessons are really the best IMO if you can get with a someone that can teach.
I found just playing live improved my playing a lot and getting together with other musicians really helped me grow.

Good Luck and keep grinding away. Terry
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 4:47 am    

I'll probably get an in person lesson or two while I'm out of work - till the middle of March. I just wanted to get past the very very green first beginner stage before I went for lessons. Having been through the learning experience as a kid, and a lot of stage experience, I kind of knew what to expect right out of the bat. I think I've entered a stage where I can use an actual pedal steel instructor to monitor my progress and give me some pointers. I think they'll be of more benefit now. And yes: the forum, in tandem with YouTube have been invaluable tools toward progress for me - it sure wasn't this easy in the early 70s haha!
Steve French

Roseville CA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 7:54 am    

You’re welcome, Fred!