| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI vs. Stage One
Michael May

Nebraska
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 1:41 pm    

Greetings all. I'm a new member of the forum and have recently become re-addicted to pedal steel after many years away from the instrument.

As I'm relearning my way around, I'm finding a different psg may be in order. I'm considering selling my 1973 or 74 Sho-Bud 6140 and buying something with a more traditional 3x4 setup.

I've been reading great things about both GFI SM-10s and Stage Ones and was wondering if anyone knows which instrument has a richer (fatter) tone rather than a really bright tone. I like the sound of my Bud and would like to find something that sounds as good.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Mike May
Fort Calhoun, Neb.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 6:14 pm    

I never owned or played a GFI but I do have a Stage One and I had a couple Sho Bud D10s. My Stage One sounds fine but it took awhile to find the right amp and settings. I also have a MSA Classic D10, Mullen D10, and a couple BMI s10s. Each has its own character and with the right amp they all sound wonderful. What works for one is wrong for the other. Listening to a few other players on YouTube might give you an idea of what you're looking for.
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 7:41 pm    

Larry I agree the right amp for different brand steels makes all the difference on a BMI I remember Zane Beck was a dealer for Peavy amps but he would use two small off brand amps at least the many times I saw him playing.
Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 12:46 am    

hi michael, I never played a Stage One but I`m pretty sure that's an excellent guitar.
i have a GFI Ultra for about 10 years and like it a lot.
if you go for a GFI I highly recommend a pro model (expo or ultra) over the student model. they're available pretty fair priced in common.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 5:24 pm    

My BMI S10 3x4 sounds great through a Fender Mustang 111 v2
I would never have guessed that. My Stage One into a Peavey Special 130 with a TC Furlong 12 inch Eminence speaker sounds great. Trying different combinations is the key.
Michael May

Nebraska
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 4:52 am    

Thanks for the input guys. I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb through which my Sho-Bud sounds really nice. I know I probably can't afford a new amp, but I would think that's a good choice for most pedal steels.
Joel Jackson

Detroit
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 5:56 am    

Had a GFI SM10 with a GFI 1 pickup. Definitely a thin sounding guitar. Not bad, but real thin. Never played a stage one.
Sean Borton

Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 7:49 am    

I don't have either of the models listed so I cannot comment directly... but I it is a comment on lower cost (starter) type steels.

When I decided to get my feet wet with a steel I picked up a Carter (starter) about 10 years ago. It stayed in tuned and played fine (for me) but I did not like the thin sound of the original single coil pickup. I installed a George L SS-10 and it made a huge difference... much more what I was hoping for.

I guess where I am going with this is that pickup changes are easy and relatively inexpensive if you don't like the tone of the original. Guitar is my primary instrument, I never worry about the pickups a guitar comes with because I know I can change it if I feel I need to.