| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice Needed - Sho Bud Professional
Graham Adeson

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 10:19 pm    

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and have been watching the 'For Sale' page for a first pedal steel for quite some time. Unfortunately, nothing yet has quite met my price range (and those that do seem to get sold in the blink of an eye!).

I recently ran across this Sho Bud D10 8x3 in Sacramento (I'm based in SF) that seems like a good bargain (pictures attached). If it helps here's a video the owner sent me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvDE0lLg4uQ&feature=youtu.be.

Certainly looks like it could do with some maintenance (and it's wickedly out of tune), but is it salvageable? If so, would this be something resolved with a tune up? I'm happy to take to a mechanic and have it fixed, but don't want to have a guitar that's going to require more money put into it than I paid for up front.

I'm not entirely concerned with the aesthetic condition, just playability, sound, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 11:11 pm     buy it

It might need some cleaning and lubrication, but it looks like an excellent ShoBud and a good price.
My 2 cents Smile

El Paso de Robles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 11:33 pm    

Grab that up. Great price on a guitar from which you may never need to upgrade. Easy to work on, terrific tone, classy. Green tint undercarriage- 1973 bonus? Three knee levers may not be factory, but no problem.

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 1:56 pm    

Thanks all! Appreciate the advice.

In terms of the world of potential maintenance that may be required, what are the most common types of work that could be expected? I know an additional knee lever (that I may end up installing) would cost around $150/200, but would appreciate ballpark figures on other types of maintenance for common issues.

Cheers!
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 2:20 pm    

yeah you need to grab that quick, cause it WILL go soon to someone else if you don't.. its a good deal... I am NOT a full time pedal steel mechanic for a living, and don't know what their going labor rate is, so this is strictly guesswork.. To clean both changers up without taking them apart, cleaning the entire guitar in an out, lubing it, restringing it, setting up all the changes so they are in tune, setting up the stops on pedals, levers, rod lengths etc, I would think maybe 4 hours or so labor.. thats if the parts are in good shape, and on a Rack and barrel Bud, they are probably ok..

To take the changers out, completely de gunk, polish parts etc, its a lot more work and a lot more money.. If I had that guitar here, I could have it playing soft an in tune with new strings in half a day or so, and I am not all that fast a worker.. Personally, I bet it could be up and running for a few hundred bucks including strings... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 3:36 pm    

Graham, I agree with what others have said here. It's a good enough price on a great guitar that it's worth spending a little on to get it up to speed (especially if they'll take $1000 for it -- and if you don't mind that the finish is a little worn).

You should shoot a private message to the world's leading Sho-Bud expert (and forumite), Ricky Davis. He'll give you great advice as to what kind of work you're likely to need and what it would cost. I think it's quite likely that, like Bob said, it's going to need to have the changer de-gunked of old oil. Other than that, you might get lucky and have a guitar that's in decent adjustment.

Caveat: if you're planning on gigging with this guitar and, say, dragging it onto a BART train, keep in mind that it weighs just shy of one million pounds. Killer PSG, but the weight can make it a no-go for some. If that's you, a modern lightweight single-neck (or SD-10) might be a better choice and could be had for what you'll end up putting into this classic Sho-Bud to get it playable.
Carol Teston

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 5:58 pm     Instructionjs

CAN ANYONE SEND ME INSTRUCTIONS FOR POSTING PICTURES ON THE FORUM

THANKS cAROL
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 8:26 am    

Check the post at the top of this page:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewforum.php?f=7
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Graham Adeson

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 6:37 pm    

For those interested - I ended up making the purchase. Little more rust than I expected, and changer probably needs a good clean, but all in all looks to be in salvageable shape!

Another post inbound on maintenance advice!
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 8:31 pm    

Hi Graham,

Cool Sho-Bud! Welcome to the madness. It's "a nice little hobby."

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=166611&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=400
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 1:25 am     Sho-Bud Professional

Don't forget to buy a dolly also. At booger's heavy !!
Jack Turlington

Toccoa, GA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 5:58 am    

Congrats Graham!
I've owned a Sho Bud Professional for about 39-40 years and have never had one problem with it. It is the same color as yours, looks just like it, well except for the rust and dirt that can be remedied, and mine has 5 knee levers. Every time I consider selling it because of the weight, I play it again and the tone is so good I can't do it. I played it out on gigs for many years. Now it's the steel I leave set up for band rehearsals.
With a little tlc it should serve you for years.
Emmons LeGrande lll 9x9, Sho-Bud Professional D10 8x5, Sho Bud S10 Professional, Excel D10 8x5, Fender Stringmaster S8, Early '50's Fender D8, GTR Banjo, Melobar Flying V, Cat Can, Hound Dog OMI Dobro, Thinline Tele, Nashville 400, PX300, Profex ll, and a boatload of harmonicas.