| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  XR-16 Pickup Wiring Question - 3 Wires Direct To Output Jack
Pete Bailey

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 9:38 am    

Santa brought me a new Bill Lawrence XR-16 humbucker pickup for Christmas, but before I break out the soldering iron I just want to make sure I have the correct wiring plan in mind.

I'll be going straight to the output jack, no tone pots or switches. The pickup has three wires : white, red and black.

I think it's supposed to be : black (ground) to ring side of jack, red and white together to the tip, but I'm not quite sure and wanted to get some input from folks who know what they're talking about before I dig in there.

Please let me know if I've got the right idea or if I've got it backwards or something - any other installation tips are welcome too. Thanks everyone & happy new year!
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 11:28 am     Xr-16

Hi Pete, I installed a new XR-16 in my U12 Carter last July. Becky, [from Wilde], said to ignore the red wire. I think it is for split coils. I just coiled it up and taped it to the underside. My Carter actually came with the XR-16 but over the years I tried about 6 or 7 others and ended up where I started. I do like the George L 12-1 also.
Pete Bailey

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 5:24 pm    

Thanks for the info George! I just wanted to follow up in case anyone else had the same question here.

Becky Lawrence confirms that you are correct: the black wire is ground (ring), the white wire is hot (tip), and the red wire is there for split coil use but otherwise does not get connected.

Glad to hear your positive feedback on the XR-16 pickup, I am looking forward to many happy hours listening to it! Smile