| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What does this lever do ?
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 10:17 am    

Hey guys so I am working through this new tuning have been researching it for months, just curious if any of you b6th / c6th gurus can give me some tips and uses for my Left knee right E-D . Thanks a lot
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 10:51 am    

Hello,
It appears to give a 7th chord at the bar (home-no pedals) and is a scale note with A/B pedals down.

.........Pat.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 11:01 am    

It is for going from the open-1 chord with RKR, to the 4(7th)chord with LKR, in B6th mode.
It is for getting a 7th tone in open E9th mode on strings 2 or 8 (notice there is no Open-D string).
If you list a few E9 and B6 songs you are working on, it would be easier to recommend some uses.
Also, do you have Cowboys direct contact? That would help greatly.
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 1:25 pm    

Thanks guys, that gives me something to work with as far as the theory, and yes I do have Cowboys information. Thanks for the reply’s !
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 2:11 pm    

You wouldn't use that lever in combination with the B6 pedals as your leg would probably be on the wrong side of the lever at that point, but you have the same change on your P8, similar to P6 on a standard C6 setup, gives an open E7 (IV7 in B6).

The easiest way to look at what the lever gives you though, is that it is simply providing the missing D from E9 string 9. Some uni setups have this D as a raise on string 9, some have the lower on 8 like yours. You would use it anywhere you would use string 9 on standard E9.

Think about the intervals on standard E9, string 9-8-7-6 are each a whole step apart. You would virtually never play all four strings together, but on alternating strings you have two sets of major 3rds stacked a whole step apart. There are several interval changes available on just those four strings with the standard B pedal and E raise/lower. There all sorts of possibilities in that.

No pedals obviously gives the E7, add the A pedal and it gives you a nice E13 chord - try grabbing 5-6-8, it makes for a nice transition from I to IV. With the D lower and the B pedal you've got a nice D6 chord across strings 5-10, add the A pedal and you've got DMaj7. Bringing the A pedal in and out here makes for some nice textural movement between the 6th and Maj7th tones.

In both case, the chords produced with D as the root can be used as the IV chord to the pedals down A6 chord at the same fret, it's the same relationship at any position on the neck.

The possibilities are endless, just follow your ears. You don't need to be able to name a chord to know that it sounds good. That's what really matters. Hope this gives you a little food for thought.
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 2:48 pm    

Thank you Ian , that definitely gave me food for thought , also It really makes sense to me now how you conpared it with the e9 9th string D. Plus the other possibilities you mentioned. Seems like a really cool lever , this tuning is blowing my mind . I have seen several guys that play it really say it’s the only way to play universal...that’s open for opinion I know . But it’s workinh for me . The deep full chords I’m able to get are amazing , almost gives that Hammond organ feel, but I don’t want to get booted off the forum so I take that back LOL 😀
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 7:32 pm    

In this Cowboy Eddie Long video, from 2:10 to 2:50 he uses the RKR and LKR in B6th mode to grab various Chord inversions of very 6th-ee sounding One-Four-Five chords, etc...
On his Universal he gets "P7", by using P0 and the A-pedal, so he doesn't need to go to the right side of LKR to play very 6th-ee sounding stuff.
Go to 2min-10sec of this vid to see RKR and LKR in B6th action, also there is a good 6th-jam starting at 4min:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpXY-2Aj6NA&list=RDQMkenWrTqs4Sw&start_radio=1

Watch Eddies two Solo's on this Working Man Blues video, and you can see him using both LKR and RKR from an E9th perspective... He actually uses all the levers on this one to get various 7th chord inversions, and also basically wears out LKV!
Solo 1 starts about 2:20, solo 2 starts about 3:30:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH26SKHf8qY