| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1989 SD10 Emmons push pull value
Larry La Belle

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 5:30 pm    

I have a near mint condition 1989 SD10 Emmons push pull E9th on a double neck body in the rosewood Mica finish. I bought it from Billy Knowles in the fall of 2010 and never did learn to play it.I had a total knee replacement in July 2011 and just never started back up learning to play. I also have a complete setup.
1. Peavey Nashville 112 amp bought used but mint
2. hilton pedal bought new
3. Pederson strobe tuner bought new
4. Walker Pack seat with back bought new.
5. Bars, strings, etc
5. Sharp brand covers for AMP and Steel.
6. Steel case is in great shape.

I am wondering what it is all worth. I am 77 and not sure if I want try to learn to play it. I am also left handed and always thought that was a problem because i did not have the control in my right hand to pick. I know there are lots of very successful left-handed player including Lloyd Green but I just don't think I have the talent.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 7:03 pm    

Larry I would put them up for sale and take the best offer for each item. The market is soft this time of year, but people still have needs for good gear and some even have an extra $ or two.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 11:03 pm    

We need pictures. The steel is obviously the most valuable item. You might find a buyer that wants the whole package, but you will probably do better if you sell individual items.

I have not heard of Emmons making push-pull guitars in 1989. It is possible, but seems more likely that your guitar is an all pull LeGrande. Can you show us a picture of the changer end of the guitar? That would immediately answer the question. Also, how many floor pedals and knee levers does it have?

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 2:43 am    

larry, you have some really nice gear. if you use the search function on the forum you'll likely be able to put together ballpark values of your stuff. most of the items have been sold on the forum in the last year.

good luck.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 3:06 am    

I remember a brochure from Emmons offering pre orders for a few 25th anniversary models, so 1989 push pull models were definitely built.

If I were you, I'd search around here for values on models similar to yours along with the other gear. Add it all together and price it accordingly to what you feel you have to get for it.

Package deals do sell sometimes, but generally if offered at an attractive price or if a new player needs an outfit.

Or perhaps you'll find someone close that can pick it all up or meet you nearby and avoid those monster shipping costs.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 3:09 am    

A few push/pulls were constructed much later than that. I believe they were SD-10s but I'm not certain. I was at the Burlington factory in the early-2000s and Doug Palmer was in a corner building one. An '89 is certainly feasible.

For years there had been some unused bodies in the basement and some were put to this use. I have to assume there were also some appropriate end-plates. I wonder how many were retroactively built. I'm sure it was only a small number.
Larry La Belle

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 5:17 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
We need pictures. The steel is obviously the most valuable item. You might find a buyer that wants the whole package, but you will probably do better if you sell individual items.

I have not heard of Emmons making push-pull guitars in 1989. It is possible, but seems more likely that your guitar is an all pull LeGrande. Can you show us a picture of the changer end of the guitar? That would immediately answer the question. Also, how many floor pedals and knee levers does it have?
The serial number is "6741ST1 0" I checked with Billy Knowles and he said Emmons started using the 6000 serial numbers in the mid-eighties but he could not tell exactly what year this guitar is. I bought it from Billy on Sept 2, 2010. It is a push pull with the standard Emmons E9th setup. Three pedals and four knee levers. I HAVE NOT YET DECIDED TO SELL IT. I JUST WANTED TO GET AN IDEA OF WHAT IT IS WORTH. I may keep trying to learn to play it. Here are some pictures.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 5:57 pm    

That's definitely a push-pull. Very nice guitar. I would say the guitar is worth between $2800 and $3200 in a private sale.

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 9:50 pm    

Thank you Paul.

Larry La Belle
Larry La Belle

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 6:04 pm     How can you tell it is push-pull

Hi;
How can you tell that the guitar is a push-pull by looking at the changer end? Also how can I tell what pickups are on it?

Thanks,

Larry La Belle
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 6:51 pm    

If it is nice as the pictures show an has not been converted from a double Ten to a Sd10.
I would ask $3200 for her. Converted push pulls might bring a little less but if conversion
Is professionally done it should bring same money. This estimate from just pictures could
Go up or down depending on actual condition.
dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 8:42 pm     Emmons

Larry the Pickup looks to be a 108N humbucker

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 9:17 pm    

The second to last photo shows the distinctive tuning screws and fingers of a push-pull Emmons. I agree with dlayne that the pickup appears to be the humbucker that Emmons offered as an option.

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 5:33 am     Thank you Dlayne and Paul

thank you for the information.

Larry
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 9:33 am    

The "ST" in the serial number indicates that it is a factory loafer, not a conversion. Nice guitar.
Larry La Belle

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 6:23 pm     Thanks

Ian Worley wrote:
The "ST" in the serial number indicates that it is a factory loafer, not a conversion. Nice guitar.

I have lesson scheduled later this month with a pretty good teacher so I will see how I do and then decide if I should keep trying to learn or sell it Thanks for the information
Chuck Miller

Newton, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 6:41 pm    

Larry, I'd say give the teacher a try for a few lessons and see what happens. You can make a lot of beautiful music with that
guitar.
Chuck