| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Split coil pickups and old push pulls question
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 6:04 pm    

Hello all,

Do any of the P/P gurus out there where the Emmons factory would install the toggle switches for guitars with split coil P/U's? Were holes drilled on the end plate for them as they were on Sho-Bud guitars? Maybe Mike Skaggs or Lynn Stafford will chime in. Also what was a somewhat standard ohm value, if there was one? Billy Knowles has told me that in the first couple years pickups were kinda all over the place.

If anyone has an Emmons with this configuration I'd love to see a pic if convenient.

Thanks everyone!

Skeeter
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 6:37 pm    

My DST came with a split coil. It was operated by the tone circuit toggle, and both signals went through the tone pot. I didn't have any need for a tone control on a single neck (and don't like tone pots on guitars in general), so I routed around the pot, and now the toggle just operates the split. If I were going to have both, I'd fashion a bracket underneath before I'd drill a hole in the guitar. Just my $.02. Smile
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 7:21 pm    

I installed a tapped Emmons single coil pickups in my pushpull. I drilled a hole for a micro/switch in the control plate, but wound up not using the tapped position very much, So, I can’t say it was worth the effort.
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 7:25 pm    

Thanks Dave, sounds like yours is a bit newer. The guitar in question is a D10 '66 bolt on. It has a couple of holes that were plugged with carriage bolts when it came to me.

Skeeter
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 7:59 pm    

Got it! And like Tony .... I don't use mine much if at all. If one of the carriage bolts gives you a spot, that would be great! Smile
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 8:55 am     Emmons Dual Coil Pickups

Forest,

Typically the Emmons dual coil pickups were wired using the toggle switch (normally used to defeat the tone circuit) to change taps for either pickup, depending on which pickup was selected. Here is a wiring diagram sheet.

The sketch on the bottom is the dual coil circuit. Note that with this scenario, there is no tone defeat switch, so the capacitor is always in the loop and is controlled by the pot. These pickups were wound at about 20K (both coils) and the tap at around 10K.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 9:47 am    

Thanks for the info, Lynn. Here is a pic of my guitar, simply from the placement of the holes is why I wondered about there having been split coils at one time.