| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Progress report and questions.
Jason Schofield

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2006 5:23 pm    

After almost 5 months of serious practice I have the neck, pedals and levers memorized. I can play inversions of all major, minor and 7th chords all over the neck. I'm studying Joe Wrights DVDs. I use 4 picks now and am working really hard on pick blocking. I'm so much faster palm blocking though. I can play harmonized 3rd and 6th intervals on all groups of strings up and down the neck. My tone and intonation have really improved a lot and I've learned a ton about mechanical issues with the instrument. Now, here's where I'm stuck.
1. When I go to play for someone, I freeze and have no idea what to play to "show off" my new skills.
2. When I play along with tunes I don't know what to do as far as fills and licks between the vocals.

I practice about 4 hours a day and I'm really hooked. I feel I need to take the next step though. Thanks for any input! Jason

I also have some cds and cd box sets for sale. Check it out. http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum18/HTML/000720.html
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2006 5:56 pm    

Jason,

You didn't mention whether you are working on scales. If not, learn some, in different starting positions, such as a scale starting with no pedals or knees, then a scale starting with A&B pedals down. Teach yourself different ways to play the same scales, using the harmony notes and chord inversions that you already know.

Next, pick out a song that you like, and learn to play the melody, adding harmony notes and chords to the melody if you are able. Teach yourself different ways to play the same melody.

As far as fills for accompanying vocals, listen to some players that you like. Select a fill or two from a song, and see if you can figure them out. Then play along with the recording and try to recreate the fill in the right place. Then, invent your own fills...

This instrument has a long learning curve. As much as you are practicing, you must be improving. Also, there is no substitute for playing with other musicians, especially players who are good. Then you have to learn to keep up with them...

Keep on picking, and have fun!

Larry Jamieson
Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2006 6:04 pm    

Play along with non steel songs. I put on cds of songs that I like, maybe the Moody Blues, Chicago, anything but steel stuff. Then you have to improvise. JP
Matt Greene

Carrollton, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2006 6:50 pm    

1.Find a Band
2.Find a Band
3.Find a Band
Willie Crisel

Charlotte, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2006 8:16 pm    

Find as meany ways as possible to get from a 1 to a 4 chord, 4 to the 5,, 5 to the 1,,along with minors, for fills ,even single notes,, walk up,,walk down,,lead the singer,,sneek in on a vocal not too loud,, when i get stuck,i go see one of my great steel playing friends,,then come home,,with 6 months of work to do.

------------------
MId seventies Push Pull D10 8 and 4, Peavey LTD Peavey Session 400 Ibanez analog delay