| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Knee Lever / Pedal Linkage
Emmo Floyd

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 1:23 pm    

Would it be possible to set up a steel so that the pedals changed function (nothing too drastic) with the use of a certain knee lever? (I'm just talking about a single neck).
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 1:29 pm    

Tell us what brand guitar you have, Emmo. Also, what, specifically, do you have in mind?

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Mullen U-12, Evans FET-500, Fender Steel King

Emmo Floyd

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 1:42 pm    

Well, the problem is that I don't have a steel yet; I've been playing lap steel on a guitar tuned E G B D F# A. I like this tuning because it gives me a pair of minor and major triads and it works on regular guitar as well. I'd like to be able to set up a steel so that I could play in this tuning (extended to 10 strings). I'm trying to figure out what my options are as far as coming up with a copedent for this tuning.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 2:10 pm    

First of all--if you have an idea and the determination to make it happen, go for it and don't let anyone stand in your way.

But.

The standard E9 S-10 PSG will, with the standard pedals and levers, provide you with a framework that certainly includes those notes. And, to say the least, much much much more.
It is a well designed and evolved setup. You don't want to be reinventing the wheel if you don't need to.
That being said, back to the first sentence. But I am just suggesting that if you haven't studied on it that much, do give consideration to the tuning that many people work with (in far more than just country applications.)
Best of luck with your choices.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 2:57 pm    

Transpose it to E and play standard E9. If you have a knee lever that lowers the 9th string of std E9 from D to C# you will have exactly the same notes. You may have to skip a string or two but it's all there

===correction GMA13 not G13=====
Your tuning is GMa13 with the 13th on the bottom string
scale tones in G:
E (6 or 13th) G B D (GMaj triad) F# (7) A (2 or 9th)

Transpose to E9:
C# E G# B D# F#

E9 is
B D E F# G# B E G# D# F#
if you lower 9 from D to C# and skip the 10th, 7th, 4th, and 3rd strings (all of which are just repeated, octave notes of ones already there) you will find your tuning

Just an idea

While you're at it you could have a go at the most widely used tuning in existence on a pedal steel. There IS a reason and there's MOUNTAINS of instructional material.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 16 February 2006 at 06:17 AM.]

Emmo Floyd

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 4:43 pm    

I recognize the wisdom in yall's comments -- I read Bob's E9th theory page a while back and saw how E9 gives you as many chords with as little bar movement as possible (I guess). The big allure of playing with the tuning I use for guitar and lap steel, other than the pipe dream of having the same tuning on three instruments, is that I can strum chords on it with my nekkid index finger.
The thing that I've been playing almost has the same intervals as C6 -- the "6th" is just raised a step, which I do
to give me that major triad. Having that 6th does make it easier to move the bar.
I love C6 sounds on the pedal steel. Is there a good argument for learning E9 as opposed to C6 if this is the case (I'm sure there is, I just don't know it).
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 6:14 pm    

Emmo, what kind of music are you doing? That may have an affect on what tunings others might suggest for you. As far as making a steel do what you want, it's possible, but keep in mind that blazing such an individual trail may mean you're forever on your own. Realize that along with the possibility of coming up with something novel, interesting, and comfortable (to you) by doing it your way, you'll lose the enjoyment of playing other players' guitars, or having them play yours.

You're the only one who can decide what you really want, and if it's worth it.

Good luck!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 6:20 pm    

Emmo, what kind of music are you doing? That may have an affect on what tunings others might suggest for you. As far as making a steel do what you want, it's possible, but keep in mind that blazing such an individual trail may mean you're forever on your own. (Some who strike out on their own come up with something wonderful, but most just get lost!) Realize that along with the possibility of coming up with something novel, interesting, and at the same time being comfortable (to you), you'll lose the enjoyment of playing other players' guitars, or having them play yours, not to mention the lack of instructors or instructional material.

You're the only one who can decide what you really want, and if it's worth it.

Good luck!