| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Humidity, koa, weissenborns, and everything about care
Ariel Lobos

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 4:29 pm    

Hi. I have an acoustic regular guitar, a pre war Martin OM 28 clone, made it by a great luthier here called Ivan Leschner, in brazilian rosewood (we still can find old stuff here, from demolition). I had a little problem, little cracks in the back, and the problem was the low humidity. Now we are taking care about, Buenos Aires has high humidity, but in winter we use heating system, so i ll need humidity suply system for this guitar. But, what about koa wood ? I have a weissenborn, a 1927, and honestly, i had never thoguht about that. I bought it in seattle, and the guy at emerald city guitars hasn´t told me anything about. What you think? And what about thE other steels? Pedals, laps and so. Any advices or suggestions? Regards to everybody !

My Computer
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 4:46 pm    

I have a floor standing humidifier and a hygrometer in my music room and keep the humidity at 45 to 50%.
In that room I have a couple of Weiss copies, several 60 to 70 year old lap steels and a few I wonder what possessed me to buy in the first place.
I have read that 40 to 50% is a recommended humidity level for most instruments and mine have done quite nicely with what I have done.
In the winter the humidifier is working overtime with the propane furnace running but does nicely keeping the room humidified.
Air conditioning in the summer affects the humidity to a lesser extent here but the humidifier is still chugging along keeping the guitars safe.
I also have a few moderately priced acoustic guitars in the room that I want to keep properly maintained.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Kirk Francis

Laupahoehoe
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 8:52 am     humidity.

living on the windward side of the big island, we have the opposite problem: sometimes too much humidity for my beloved wooden fleet. i consider myself lucky if i find the music room humidity to be anywhere in the low 70% range. the lowest it has ever been--and that just for one anomalous afternoon--was 56%. given all that, the precautions i take are to:
1. use the lightest gauge strings i can tolerate,
and
2. use a hygrometer to monitor changes in humidity--as the humidity goes up, so will the string tension. i have seen a full half step change over just a few hours!

on the other hand, we have no need whatsoever over here for socks or snow shovels...
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 6:37 pm    

I like the part about snow shovels.... Very Happy