| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for PSG + keyboard players
Paul Pederson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 11:29 am    

I'm a 'utility' player on stage in that I play piano, organ, and accordion, along with singing, depending on what's needed for the song.

Now I'm adding PSG--to an already crowded stage setup.

For other utility players like me out there, I'd love to hear how you lay things out on stage to make quick, graceful transitions between instruments.

Do you make a V arrangement of PSG and keyboards? Do you face forward on some (PSG, of course!) and sideways on others? If turned, do you face toward center stage or away from it?

Anyone tucking PSG under a keyboard (gotta see them frets, tho)?

And microphones--do you have two, one on a pivot, maybe a headset mic?

Gotta figure this out soon to get my PSG on stage--the struggle is real!
- TC Electronic M350 -
Paul Pederson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 11:35 am    

Forgot to mention--I play using in-ear monitors, so I plan to use just a preamp and go direct to save floor space on stage.
- TC Electronic M350 -
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 1:13 pm    

When I was (trying to) play keyboards and pedal steel, I made a simple folding stand that placed the keyboard about 10" above the guitar. The top of the stand pivoted so the keyboard could be angled slightly towards me, and it worked out great!

The keyboard was a fairly light 49-key Casio, and I made the stand in a few hours from a piece of 1x12, and some 1x2 and 1x3 furring strips.
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 7:15 pm    

I played with a guy in Alaska that mounted a keyboard over his steel; don't remember his name.

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 12:56 am    

I've thought about that too - playing a keyboard and steel that is. I've thought that if I did, I would mount it on a rack above the steel as well. Seems to be about the only place I can think of if the stage is cramped.
Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 4:19 am    

Paul,
I play keyboard and pedal steel about 50/50 on our gigs. I also play mandolin on two songs and banjo on one song. I lay out the keyboard facing the audience and the steel facing the band. The mando and banjo are behind me on stands.

I had Joe Naylor build me a steel seat with casters. (I’ve long sense replaced the casters with heavy duty ones). I think the seat is his sowing box seat as I recall. Had it about five years and it has held up really well.

I simply slide between the steel and the keyboard. I tried placing the keyboard above the steel on an A-frame but I didn’t like the height of the keyboard, nor the angle.

I have a mic stand with an IPad holder between the steel and the keyboard and swivel it as required to see the tab. I just bought two Alto 8” power speakers which I place on stands on either side of the setup as monitors. I’m really digging this! Placing them on stand allows me to finally hear the things!

This seeems to work for me. We kick the tunes quickly, but our singer is real good about doing two to three steel tunes, then two to three keyboard tunes so we aren’t bouncing around on every tune. (He plays fiddle and acoustic guitar so he gets it).

I have a gig this weekend so I’ll try and take some pics

Mack

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 8:53 am    

When I was playing both, I had an A-Frame keyboard stand that I used. I had 2 keyboards and placed one on the back legs and even with my guitar. It almost touched the front of the guitar so I could just reach out and play the keyboard. The 2nd keyboard was placed higher on the front legs. That made both keyboards at the same distance from me, so no having to reach. My guitar sat in between the front legs. The only drawback was the 2nd keyboard blocked my face. Although, no one cared, especially the crowd. Laughing

Regular "X" type stands didn't work well. It placed the keyboard farther away from the guitar due to the bottom foot hitting the pedal bar.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 7:37 pm    

I play an Emmons or Mullen D-10 with a Nord Stage 3 (15 lbs.)in front or the steel so I just reach over to play the keys. Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly on top of things, I'll switch back and forth with a tune - but usually it's one or the other. The keys are always emulating a B3 and for most gigs I lug around a Leslie Studio 21 speaker which is well worth the sweat. I also play a '62 Supro lap steel through a Sarno Earth Drive and Jangle Box compressor, using an A/B switch with the pedal steel. It's a very stable set-up with myself as the only variable.
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 11:41 pm    

Alaska?Don Walker?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 9:42 pm     Keyboard and steel

Paul,
My setup. The steel seat has casters so I just slide back and forth.

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 10:26 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
When I was (trying to) play keyboards and pedal steel, I made a simple folding stand that placed the keyboard about 10" above the guitar. The top of the stand pivoted so the keyboard could be angled slightly towards me, and it worked out great!

The keyboard was a fairly light 49-key Casio, and I made the stand in a few hours from a piece of 1x12, and some 1x2 and 1x3 furring strips.

I'm pretty sure this is what I'd do - build/buy something to place the keyboard above the steel. So far, I've resisted carrying both keys and steel to a gig for both sonic and logistical reasons.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 10:57 am    

I'm not much of a keyboard player but I do have a 49 controller I use with a midi rig sometimes at the jams.

I set up like Mack at 90°. I installed a small lazy susan on my steel seat. It's lightweight enough that the weight of my lard butt keeps it from rotating while playing and to switch instruments, all I have to do is shift my weight forward slightly to rotate between instruments.
Danny Sherbon

San Angelo, TX
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 11:57 am     Utility

I play steel, keyboard and sax. They key to what I do is using a high quality (comfortable) drum throne where I can pivot over to the other instrument.