| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Right Hand of The Master
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2018 11:01 am    

This is the best video of Buddy's right hand I've ever seen. Classic Buddy Emmons,,,the epidimy of relaxed while he is behind his steel,,,but when he is being interviewed he obviously would rather be somewhere else,,LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jpwlgwlAi8
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2018 1:09 pm    

very cool. whenever i imagine buddy in my head when i play, i always sit up straighter and relax. i never sound like buddy, though. maybe i need to get one of those fuzzy steels?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2018 1:53 pm     The right hand of the master

Buddy once told me you have to be completely relaxed to play well. When I play a gig, especially a steel show, I say these words over and over in my mind. "Buddy says to be relaxed" Possibly the best advice I have ever had and I never got the chance to tell Buddy,unfortunately.

A couple funny things I heard about Buddy's trip to Japan from Jeff Newman. At some point, Buddy exited something, a bus, building, cab, it doesn't matter. There were other steel players with him and Buddy just took off walking like he knew where he was going, but he was going the wrong way. The Japanese were so in awe of him and so polite, they didn't feel worthy of telling him he was going the wrong way.

Buddy wanted some authentic Japanese chopsticks as a souvenir. When he asked where he could get them, the Japanese, not understanding English all that well, thought he said "chop steak". They asked him "why you want chop steak"? With the Japanese accent Buddy thought they said "chop stick" and he said to take home to Peggy. They asked him "where you put it?" . Buddy replied "in my pocket".
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2018 3:19 pm    

One man's opinion...

It has to "flow" - you can't force it...and stuff's usually happening too fast to even have to think about all you're actually doing. This is why I've always preached "play music, play songs", and not to just concentrate too much on practicing scales and modes. Practice the lines, phrases, and licks that fit into the music you're trying to play, stuff that your own favorite players have already played. That's the quickest route to playing like them. Mr. Green
Fish

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 4:20 pm    

This is video is superb...thank you for posting!

I can't help but laugh during the interview sections when Buddy is forced to listen in the background to one of his least favorite recordings - Steel Guitar Jazz - while responding patiently to questions. Smile
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 7:57 pm    

Thanks Sonny.

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2018 7:11 am    

several top players in Nashville told me the same thing, they don't care much for the playing from the tabs, no matter how good it is done, what they find interesting is something new, what they haven't heard already... I was little surprised to hear the same statement from several different people, but when you think about it, it makes sense ... keep relaxed while playing is a great advice, but play your own music and style, because the rest was already played by others...

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2018 8:40 am    

Amen Damir.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2018 8:40 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
...but play your own music and style, because the rest was already played by others...

Excellent advise that pretty much defines the difference between a musician and just another (steel) guitar player.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2018 10:10 am    

Really cool.. Buddy just being himself, magnificent.. The japanese steel players alongside him were great too, and the entire band was smokin' hot... Great sax player... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2018 9:42 pm    

I've been fortunate enough to know a few really, really great guitar players, and they sometimes find the comparisons devised by X-spurt reviewers hilarious. Julien Kasper is a monster strat guy, now a professor at Berklee (in itself kinda hilarious). In reviews of his albums there's usually some kind of "Holdsworthian flair with a touch of Wes Montgomery and Eric Johnson" comments to wade through, comparisons to people he surely doesn't steal anything from. When I first met him (1980? '81?) he had wrung Hendrix dry and was listening to a lot of Jeff Beck, but he next graduated to MUSIC. Real musicians play MUSIC, not licks and positions. You know how there are hard parts you can only play when you play the correct lead-up to them? Your brain is trying to teach you something there.

I happened to pick up LA studio stud Mike Landau's highly-recc'd CD "Organic Instrumentals" at the same time as Julien's "Trance Groove," and I couldn't hardly tell some aspects apart. Two players, one played in every studio in Los Angeles, one played in every slimy blues club on the East Coast, but samed age, same listening habits, above all, the same attention to detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZPYRfBSvs