| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question re volume control on a 1935 Ricky B6
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 5:44 pm    

A friend of mine recently acquired a 1935 B6 (nothing to do with Ray's collection or the current ones on eBay). When the volume control is turned up about half way the tone changes dramatically to a high pitch. It's not scratchy like a dirty slider. There is no tone control on the 1935 models. What are some thoughts on this problem please

George

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 8:42 pm    

My own c.1935 single knob Bakelite does the same thing. I posted a similar question and got this reply from the "guru"...

Rick Aiello wrote:
As far as the "sound" associated with the wiring scheme ... The one knob Ricky's were wired in a rheostat fashion.

Two hot and two grounds came from the coil ... One set went to the potentiometer ( usually with one of the three lugs removed) ... And the other set going to the jack.

This made the volume a "variable load" control ... As the volume knob is rolled back, the load on the coil changes ... Altering the tone ... Kinda a one trick pony, but quite effective when no tone control is used.

On my guitar there is a sweet spot between the extremes of bass and harsh treble right before the bump in volume which is where I keep it.
Loren Tilley

Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 9:51 pm    

It’s a feature not a bug.

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 5:54 am    

Some of the early Rics had a large Centralab(I think)pot with a design unlike the common carbon-track type we are used to where a felt tab presses a flexible steel ring against the outside wall to vary the resistance. These sometimes get dirty or even seize up and can be disassembled, cleaned and lubed and returned to proper operation. Maybe that would help to improve the response and make it more even.

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 5:55 am    

Thank you kindly Scott for your great response, and also to Loren and John Dahms for your additional info. My friend is quite happy with the news.
Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"