| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Max/MSP users?
Read Connolly

Pittsburgh, PA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2020 11:09 am    

Hi Folks! Any Max users on here? I did a search in forum history, and found only one post from Chas Smith back in 2002 ... so I figured it was worth asking again.

I spent the first weeks of our stay at home order teaching myself Max/MSP, which has been on my to-do list for a long time. I built a patch where I could record my pedal steel, and then process it, mix it, and and create arrangements on the fly. I'm putting these tracks out on bandcamp next week. If anyone is interested, here's a music video for one of the tunes.

Max is an extremely robust and vibrant tool for anyone interested in sound design or programming. If you can conceptually hear it, you can make it in Max Smile If you purchase my album, my Max patch I created will come bundled with the record. If you are a Max user, or interested in learning about it, I'd love to hear from you.

If anyone is interested in the record but can't afford it, please shoot me a PM. This community has been so good to me over the last 10 years, I always want to give back and help out other steel players. That's the least I could do.

Stay safe everyone!
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2020 5:12 am    

I think Max/MSP is the coolest thing but I would have to get a new mac and devote a lot of time to first learning Ableton again... some day... maybe

Have you seen Puckette's books and courses?

http://msp.ucsd.edu/
Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2020 8:26 am    

I've done a bit of programming in it. You can prototype on a PC or Mac but then there are various options to get away from playing through a PC. This is probably the coolest of the bunch:

https://moddevicesus.myshopify.com/products/mod-duo-2

I'd be tempted but instead decided to go the empress Zoia route. This is a self-contained modular development system, not quite as powerful but similar in many ways and more practical IMO. Ill report back at some point.

Read, the track from your album is great by the way. Really enjoyed it. Congrats on breaking some new ground here.
Steven Holec

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2020 2:44 pm     Max/MSP

Do a Google search for some great books by V. J. Manzo. He’s expert at Max/MSP and a great guy.
V.J. Manzo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2020 3:33 pm     Re: Max/MSP

Steven Holec wrote:
Do a Google search for some great books by V. J. Manzo. He’s expert at Max/MSP and a great guy.

Hey that's me! Smile Long-time forum lurker, first-time poster, relatively new lap steel player!

I do a lot of work in Max/MSP/Jitter as Steve mentioned; here's a MaxforLive device I made for my lap steel that does auto-swells with the press of a footswitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQPeWwzdJrQ
Read Connolly

Pittsburgh, PA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 5:52 am     Hey Max Fans!

Wow, this is great! Happy to see the response so far for Max/Steel guitar interest.

Gene, I'm a big Miller fan.
Tal, thanks for the kind words!
VJ, Is that m4l device posted somewhere I can buy/download?

My album is up now on bandcamp. Something everyone in this thread might enjoy to learn: Bandcamp took my feedback to allow .maxpat's as downloadable content for albums. I'm happy to say that my Max patch I made my record with is included with purchase Cool
V.J. Manzo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 9:36 am    

Yes, you can download the "Autoswell" M4L device and Live session freely from the downloads section of my website under the "Composition & Performance Systems" tab.

Happy patching!