| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster MK1 Pickups and Parts
Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 3:48 pm    

Getting back to my 1954 Stringmaster MK1, 26 inch scale project, I find the later MK2 pickups won't fit. The later pickups are wider, which means they also have a wider string spacing. I only have one original pickup, need three more. The later pickups I have, will shift over to in my MK2 Stringmaster projects.

The measured outside dimensions of the magnets of the MK1 are 2.6 inches. The overall width of the bobbin flange is 3.625 inches, bolt pattern of 3.31 inches, longitudinal dimension of .88 inches.

The measured outside dimensions of the magnets of the later MK2 Stringmasters are 2.82 inches. The overall width of the bobbin flange is 3.92 inches, bolt pattern of 3.65 inches, longitudinal dimension of .88 inches.

I could route out the pickup pockets to fit the newer ones, can rewind some old ones, get bobbins and magnets, or complete new ones, but then, the string spacing will be too narrow and won't couple properly. Could make some wider bridge structures and bridges to match the newer pickups, but want to stay as original as possible.

I could make the Pickups from the ground up, get the magnets and make some bobbin plates to fit,and wind them. However, making the bobbin plates is a bit of close work I don't feel comfortable about getting right, would rather not.

So far my research has not found anyone makes this pickup or parts for it. I can get pickups for the later MK2 Stringmaster from multiple sources, Jimmie Hudson has the later magnets and bobbins, they are just too big.

Do any of you out there have any Stringmaster MK1, 26" scale pickups you might part with, dead or alive? Does anyone out there make bobbin plates for the Mark 1?

I've already made a lot of replacement metal parts for this thing, not looking forward to making the pickups from scratch. Lots of available parts for the later MK2, other than the metal parts I got laser cut, can't find any other source for MK1 parts. I was lucky to find another tuner pocket for it from a forum member, thank you. Now having to adapt parts to restore the LollyPop tuners.

A word to the uninformed, be careful what you take on in a restoration project, it may be harder than you think, do you research first, but I am determined to get it done!
Beginning Player, 1946 Fender Dual Pro- Boxcar, Late 1950's Fender Champ, 1954 Fender D8 MK1 Stringmaster Project, MK 2 Stringmaster 22.5 Single Neck Project, MK 2 Stringmaster T8 22.5" Project, Vintage D8 built with Stringmaster Parts. Lottsa parts.