| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Starting Jerry Byrd's course
Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2018 5:29 pm    

Hello !!
i'm playing lap steel for about 8 months, and like it a lot.

Been playing music for 25 years, Guitar, bass, ukulele, tahitian ukelele and now..... Lap Steel almost exclusively since we met each other.

I'm starting Jerry Byrd's course today, so i'll try to keep record of my progress. videos will be uploaded in youtube, where i have a channel: Paticochile

here's a video of me playing some latin stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OXc-F-IJSs

thanks
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 1:25 pm    

Hi Francisco, greetings from the other side of the South Pacific. I will be very interested to see your comments on Jerry's course.

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 10:45 pm     first impression

hi David.
i'm used to standard music notation and standard guitar/bass tabs. Jerry's music notation is a bit different, but with the help of the back tracks i'm doing fine.

So far the A Major tuning lessons are ready. i didn't change the strings thou.
Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 8:05 am    

Into the E Major section....
Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 6:04 pm     Avanzando......

Now studying E-7th Tuning

I've been thinking that a good way to really incorporate what i'm studying is make my own arrangements after finishing each Tuning's excercises.

Having so much fun with this course. Is exactly what i was looking for...
Mauru-uru rahi Scotty (thank you very much)
Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 8:52 am     palm harmonics... difficult

i'm having a hard time with palm harmonics.
I'm used to finger harmonics, so probably will stick to it.

don't know the exact name, but it's done similar way, instead of the meaty part of the palm i use index finger and pick with my ring finger.

I don't use picks, just bare nails.
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 8:58 am    

Yeah, it's gonna be pretty hard to get palm harmonics without at least a thumb pick. Jerry would be telling you to put those picks on! Laughing Keep having fun with it, whatever you decide.
Gary Leggett

Space Coast, FL
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 6:04 am    

I got the course a couple of weeks ago from Scotty and not quite to the E section. If someone is wondering about this course it looks extremely comprehensive. I like the way Byrd can even make a simple exercise sound good.. Smile

On the harmonics if this helps, On my main lap steel I was having a hard time of getting harmonics when I wanted them, other than finger plucking harmonics. I picked up a recording king off of ebay for the tunings in the course so I wouldn't have to go back and forth. Right out of the gate I was getting harmonics up and down the neck. I still need to work on my technique but it may be a bit of the guitar also.
Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 6:54 am     avanzando.....

into the C#min tuning...
things are getting a little bit more complex right now.

I'm feeling like in my teens when i used to study a lot of guitar. I'm waking up same days at 05:45AM just to study 90 mins before going to work. At mid-day, instead of having lunch, i go to study another 45 mins. And of course in the afternoon/night after my beloved son goes to sleep i study again like 90 mins.
So it's around 3-4 hrs of study a day.

wow.... am i enjoying this.....
Tod Johnson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 12:41 pm    

My palm harmonics improved when I discovered I needed to shift my hand to a pure perpendicular position. Before it was almost at a 45 degree angle.

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 11:00 pm     bar type

i'm having little difficulties with the type of bar to use.

Before buying the course i saw some videos, and Jerry was playing with a bullet type. I bought (in perfect ignorance) some cheap bullets and stevens type before i bought the course.

Now, In the course Jerry gives the specs as to which bar he uses, so i bought online two of those Dunlop. In the meanwhile just have to play with what i have. I haven't decided cause both of them have pros and contras.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 11:11 pm    

Gary Leggett wrote:
I still need to work on my technique but it may be a bit of the guitar also.

In my experience, the instrument makes all the difference in the world. On some, harmonics are extremely difficult to nail, and on others they just fly out. My technique does not substantially change from instrument to instrument.
Jeremy DeHart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 5:57 am    

ok let's be honest, how many people have gone through 100% of the course? I made it about half way and now it's sat untouched for too long! I haven't even made it through the C6/A7 tuning yet! I'm ashamed I tell ya!
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 7:30 am    

It didn't take me TOO long to get through this one:

Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 10:35 pm     slowly

Ua like no like, C#m-9th

feels kind of strange to have the 5th n 6th strings only one whole toneapart. i'm not used to this, but enjoying it anyway. new sounds to my ears, new progressions, chords, so much fun.
Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 9:01 pm     lots of work

doing lots of extra work this week, so not much time to study. still stuck in C#m-9th. slow pace but still...

only 1 song left to finish cd 1.

i'm very happy
Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 3:24 pm     finally...

Book 1 completed.

didn't learn the last song cause i don't want to change strings just for 1 song. tried the tuning but 5th n 6th just sound too weak and without tension.

i'll go back and probably study again some of the songs to get the extra details added in 2nd verse and/or 2nd chorus, i've been writing some of them cause in the book is only written the first time the verse n chorus are played en each song.

very rewarding experience this course
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 7:02 pm     Just got this book!

Erv Niehaus wrote:
It didn't take me TOO long to get through this one:

Come on, Erv! We're not all as awesome as you! Laughing
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 8:14 pm    

Here's mine, the 1960 edition.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 8:40 pm     Mine...

Here’s what I have:

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 8:44 pm     Jerry's 7-String Trotmore

Jerry's 7-String Cast Aluminum Trotmore w/ the Rickenbacker horseshoe pickup is now owned by Forum member (and my excellent, ridiculously patient teacher), Jeff Kearns.
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 8:47 pm     Retired guys?

Jeremy DeHart wrote:
ok let's be honest, how many people have gone through 100% of the course? I made it about half way and now it's sat untouched for too long! I haven't even made it through the C6/A7 tuning yet! I'm ashamed I tell ya!

My guess is you'd have to either be: a) Childless, b) Retired; c) Ideally, childless AND retired.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 7:19 am    

That old Jerry Byrd course that I have was the 1st time I was exposed to the C6th tuning.
I'm sure glad I went all the way through the book as that was the last tuning he covered.
I was awe struck when I tuned up my little Gibson lap steel to that tuning, I never heard anything so sweet! Very Happy
Erv
Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 5:28 pm     Greetings

Nice to hear other experiencies.
Personally speaking it's not easy for me to have enough time to study as i would like to, but with a little effort i'm doing homework.

Right now i'm going out for vacations, and only carry my ukulele but surely will miss a bar for playing.

Iorana friends. Mark Helm iorana koe.

PS. My fingertips are hurting cause i lost my callouses.... wow just realized its been like a year since i havent played ukulele/guitar, just lap steel.
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 9:47 pm     Have a great vacation!

Share pictures when you get back, Francisco!