| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Raise finger popping out with the raises...help!
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 3:48 pm    

Having a mechanical problem I need some help with:

On my pre-RP Mullen, suddenly when I depress pedal B raising G#s to A, on string 3 now and then the lowering finger starts to come out along with the raise, then it snaps back into place with a clicking sound. Mickey Adams tells me that a new spring should remedy the problem.

Until he gets me a new spring, is that correct? And could I take an unused spring from another string, like string 7, and try using that on string 3? The springs aren't used by raises, are they?

Thanks, all!
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 5:01 pm    

That symptom is called "Lift-off".
If you don't have adjustable springs, you can either grab one from another string as you said, or, cut a bit of the spring off and make it shorter.
If that string doesn't lower, you could remove the spring and tie it down with a zip tie. The spring is only needed if there is a lower.
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 6:09 pm    

What Pete says. Lower-return spring on the high-tensioned 3d string has to be tightened to higher tension than for other strings to hold that lower-scissor in place, and since 3d string doesn't get lowered (on most PSGs *) that spring can be pretty tight without causing any problems.

However; that the lower-scissor only follows the raise-scissor a bit and then snaps back during the raise, indicates high surface-friction between these two scissors. Ideally there should be next to no friction between them, so check for gunk and/or wear on their surfaces – should be easy to see if you unhook the lower-return spring so the lower-scissor comes out.

*) I lower 3d string along with 6th on mine, so have to balance that spring more accurately for perfect raise and lower action.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 9:03 am    

Thanks for the info, Pete and Georg! Will give that a try today.
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 7:20 pm    

Hi John,
I agree with all above. If you're in a hurry, I'd make sure that scissor action is lubed up good then take the return spring off. Next, cut about 1/4" off the finger end of the spring to shorten it. Draw and bend that end loop out to form a hook. You now have a spring that is going to be able be adjusted tighter, holding that lower from moving. RP

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 4:49 am    

John - As I recall, the springs were adjustable on my pre-RP Mullen.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 9:13 am    

I don't think a weak spring or a gummed-up changer would cause anything to "pop". That's more likely to be some kind of mechanical interference that's releasing very quickly. It's usually bent fingers, worn stop-bars, slipping spacers, and improper (too big) springs that cause these types of problems. And most times, just a careful look at what's going on will reveal the problem and a solution.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 9:23 am    

Donny,

I had it on the bench when it suddenly started happening, couldn't see anything that caused the raise finger to grab the lower finger. The clicking is the sound of the lower finger mysteriously releasing and snapping back into position.

Thanks for all the analysis and remedy ideas, gang! Will let you know what I find when I can get the guitar belly up for a new inspection.

John
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 11:40 am    

I've had similar things happen with 2 out of 3 Pre RP Mullens I've owned. I agree that a new spring is needed. You can swap springs, yes. That's what I've done in the past. I would not remove a spring completely off any string even if it's only raising.
Most of the time, swapping springs and making sure the changer scissor is lubed, not binding has cured my problems. Before you unhook the spring from the 3rd string, be sure and de-tune it. After you unhook it, operate the scissors back and forth many times.

The spring is very small diameter and really stiff also so you need a good small pick to take it off and on.

Mullen are my favorite of all guitars I've played, but this little deal with the return springs is the oddest of all guitars I've ever seen. They are always tight and hard to adjust. Most of the ones I've had, have them tightened all the way.

All due respect to the Mullen company, but that's been my experience.

Unless it's an emergency, I'd just wait for a new spring to replace the old one. I may have one here if you don't get one right away.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 22 May 2018 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
chuck lemasters

Jacksonburg, WV
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 11:46 am    

My Rains was doing that same thing last week. A slight clicking noise, which turned out to be the raise finger hesitating, then snapping as it moved. It took a very slight pressure to get it to finish its travel, oil didn't help, but one half turn on the spring adjustment eliminated the problem.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 6:55 pm    

Jerry, thanks for all the tips. I have it on the bench now, was still getting that lift-off, as my pal Pete Burak calls it. I tightened the spring adjusting screw all the way, squirted lube between the changer fingers as best I can. The finger did feel a bit spongey and gunked up. No liftoff as of now.

Still, what's the best way to swap springs on this Mullen pre-RP? Back out the adjusting screw entirely, then remove the spring from the finger hook, or the other way around? Never worked on springs before. Thanks again.

Is there some clever away to get the raise and lower fingers separated a bit to get a shot of lube in there? I resorted to using a think bladed sharp knife.

Also, how do you ID a spring to order a replacement? And can you springs like these? Mickey's in EU, so my source is offline.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 8:01 pm    

John - You might want to contact the good folks who build Mullen guitars. I suspect they could help you with your problem.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 10:07 pm    

Take all the tension off of the string 1st, then remove the screw holding the spring on and catch the spring when it flies off. While it's off be sure to inspect the raise and lower scissor and see if you find any rough spots to take down and then lubricate it. Then replace or shorten the spring and reverse the process (replace the screw in the spring with just a few threads, hook it back up to the lowering scissor, and tighten the spring to about 1/2 way). Re-tune the string and see if your new spring tension will allow the scissor to return after lowering and keep the scissor from moving when the string is raised.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 4:04 am    

I think they're just called lower return springs. I've always had good luck getting any parts I need from the good folks at Mullen. Just describe to them what you need and they should be able to supply it.

I did find one here, but it's a bit different in appearance and with the screw head, but I could send it to you if you can't get one elsewhere. JO.

If you've got it working now, you may not need it however.