| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country Rock Tabs for beginners
Charles Fager

Novato, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2005 4:30 pm    

Thanks to everyone who helped me during my first week in the PSG world. I think I got my vintage Sho Bud assembled properly (with all of your advice) and I am starting my scales and chord theory; I'm loving it! PSG really is challanging, interesting, and fun. Does anyone have a resourse for beginner tabs for country rock classics (Eagles, NRPS, for example). My learning style is working the tabs first and then get theory from noodling with the tabs. Any advice?...CF
Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 1:59 pm    

Hi Charles,

I got turned on to steel by country rock (NRPS, Poco, Burrito Bros. etc.) and still play that kind of music extensively now. So far I have never seen any tab for it, most of the tabs out there seem to concentrate on traditional and modern country. My advice would be, try to figure it out from the recordings, once you know the basics of how to play. Most of those licks are not really complicated compared to the modern stuff. The original country rock players in the ยด70s had no such thing as tab to learn from, either. It takes patience, but is definitely worth the effort. This will train your ear and greatly help you to understand the instrument. The sooner you learn NOT to rely on tab too much, the better.

Good luck, JH
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 3:34 pm    

What is the difference in the steel parts between "country rock" and "country"? I always thought that the difference was in the rhythm section, not in the steel parts.
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 4:40 pm    

Charles,
Check out Mike Headrick's website at www.countrydiscovery.com
He's got a great instrumental pedal steel tribute to the songs of Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman (Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Desert Rose Band, etc.). CD is called Steels on Wheels and he's also got every tune tabbed out. Vintage "West Coast" steel and you can learn some great licks from the tab book. The tunes may be a bit of a challenge for a beginner but that's how you improve!
Songs are:
Devil in Disguise
Hickory Wind
One Step Forward
Juanita
Glass Hearts
Brass Buttons
Desert Rose
Sin City
One Hundred Years
Hot Burrito #1
Summer Wind
Wheels
I Still Believe in You Now
Hot Burrito #2
Start All Over Again
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 4:59 pm    

"What is the difference in the steel parts between "country rock" and "country"? I always thought that the difference was in the rhythm section, not in the steel parts."

Listen to the solos in The Burrito's "Christine's Tune".

That's not the rhythm section making a statement.
Bobby - also, if you haven't, read the book "Desperados" about the country-rock development in the 60's and early 70's. It's a great historical perspective.

[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 14 November 2005 at 08:24 PM.]

Charles Turpin

Mexico, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 11:09 am    

To me there isn't much difference between country/rock licks and Country licks. I guess you could say the only difference is that the C/R licks have more use of the blues notes in them and also make a little more use of the chromatic runs. On pedal steel to get them C/R licks you have a bit more bar movement than playing the traditional country with major and minor scales. Also i think most C/R licks are played in a group of 5 to 8 notes not switching positions when the chord changes.Where with most traditional country your scales change with the chords more often.That is just a few of the differences i can think of.

------------------