| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender keyless
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 3:48 am    

Has anybody got one of these I guess it's Gene fields creation.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 5:58 am    

Fender PS210. Yes, Gene Fields. I think Basil Henriques has/had one of these. There are a few discussions posted over the years. Here's one of them: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=177022&highlight=fender+ps210
Pat Heller

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 7:19 am     Keyless

A recently deceased friend of mine (Tommy Brooks)owned one at the time of his passing. He came to St. Louis in the early 70's from Calif. with the guitar. He was a friend of Gene Fields and also owned a GFI. Tommy could tear it up. P.H.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 7:24 am    

On second gander, that appears to be a 8/12 version with a fretted board in front. Maybe Gene's personal guitar? I know he experimented with fretting the steel... guitar style, at some point.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 1:58 pm    

I own a PS 210 5&4...….I don't recall any of them being made in any colors.....except for the one(s) that Gene Fields owned, which had a steel neck and a fretted neck....also, in that photo there appears to be part of a round seat visible....Gene's personal guitar had a round "throne" that was attached to the guitar.....I'd say that this was Gene's guitar.....
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 9:34 pm    

Quote:
On second gander, that appears to be a 8/12 version with a fretted board in front. Maybe Gene's personal guitar? I know he experimented with fretting the steel... guitar style, at some point.

I think maybe Blackie Taylor had one of those too. He was pals with Gene. I think Gene made him a GFI like that as well.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 10:52 pm    

As Dave mentioned Blackie Taylor had one in his shop,I should have paid more attention to it?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 9:52 pm    

That guitar in Blackie Taylor's shop must have been in the late 80's. If that's the one I'm thinking of, it's serial #11....the last "new" PS-210 sold. I bought it from Gene in 1988 at Knoxville. It has 5 and 4, but they didn't install the "offset" pull levers underneath, so when the front neck is played, it only has 3 and 4. When you switch it to the rear neck, it then has the full 5 and 4. So I put the E9th short Uni tuning on the rear neck, and a straight C6th on the front. It's in its original Bulwin plush-lined case and has only been played out a few times in the 30-year interim. At one time I had it listed for sale on the Forum for $5200.00, but most people who responded thought that was a bit pricey for that piece of history. Only 15 production models were ever made plus a few prototypes. Gene's blue 8 and 12 plus the seat was a prototype and is thought to be the only one with a colored frame...blue. The front neck is fretted. My #11 is also one of only 2 or 3 that had those travel stop stampings underside. These were new and only went into a few guitars according to Gene. Instead of the drawbars bottoming out on the changer endplate, the pulling mechanism stopped on these stampings which contained #8-32 screws for adjustment. That allowed the drawbars at the changers to float freely. It was experimental. I was told that each and every PS-210 was experimental in at least one way when they were made. Gene told me that my #11 was made in 1969.
PRR