| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  STEELIN' by Katz Kobayashi
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2018 10:58 am    

Somewhere around 1990 Katz Kobayashi recorded an album with a few other guys who played steel. Does anyone know of a definitive listing of who played what on this rather obscure LP?

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2018 1:09 pm    

Hey Jack, here's some info on the album...what a lineup of talent!
https://www.popsike.com/Steelin-LP-vinyl-record-SEALED-Steel-Guitar-Katz-Kobayashi-Buddy-Emmons-Jernigan/221821710784.html
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 6:22 am    

Thanks for the link, Jeff. It confirms this information that I received with a copy of the recording:

Musicians:
Steel Guitar: Katz Kobayashi, Weldon Myrick, Tommy White, Hal Rugg, Doug Jernigan, Paul Franklin, Buddy Emmons -- Steelin’ - 32 Bars
Rhythm & Electric Guitar – Jimmy Capps
Piano & Keyboard – Hargus ( Pig ) Robbins
Bass – David Smith
Drums – Gene Chrisman
Fiddle – Rob Hajacos
Dobro – Jerry Douglas
Harmonica – Charlie McCoy
Trumpet – George Tidwell
Flute & Clarinet - Buddy Skipper
Vocal: Jeanne Pruett, Jeannie Seely, Ronny Robbins, Connie Smith (Love Me)
Carol Lee Singers: (My Woman My Woman My Wife,
Here In The Real World, Flowing Sunset, Sugarfoot Rag)
Steel Guitar: Katz Kobayashi used a 1968 Emmons
and a Peavey LTD 400 amp

What I would really like to know applies only to the steel players. Specifically, who is playing on which songs. Presumably, Katz is the main guy on most, if not all, of the 12 tracks. The leadoff track, appropriately titled, "Steelin," is a hot instrumental featuring multiple players taking turns playing full choruses. I think I can identify some of the players, but not all of them. It would be nice to know for sure. Several of the tracks have more than one steel.

Perhaps either Paul or Tommy will see this and have some memory of what took place in those sessions nearly 30 years ago.

In any event, if anyone gets the chance to listen this LP, it would be well worth your while. The late Mr. Kobayashi was more than up to the task when he recorded this LP. It's definitely pedal steel-centric, which should fine with most of the folks who are reading this. The solos by Jerry Douglas and Charlie McCoy on "Sugarfoot Rag" alone are worth the price of admission.
Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 4:55 am    

Jack:
You may well be right on either Paul or Tommy having some idea of who played what on this lp.

Counting this lp, I have 4 steel records that feature 5 to 9 players. Of the 4, only two list the players of individual songs. Those albums are 1970's "Suite Steel"
and 1978's "Pacific Steel Co."

The other album, which had 9 different players on it was produced by Dave Burley in 1975 and was entitled "It' The First Time." It contained only 3 songs - Twelve Midnight (8:3Cool; Cottontail Blues (14:51) on Side "A" and Lonesome Road (20:47) on Side "B".

Players on this album were:

Doug Jernigan, Curly Chalker, Maurice Anderson, Julian Tharpe, Speedy West, Buddy Emmons, Jimmy Day, Hal Rugg and Lloyd Green.

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 7:29 am    

Just a note that I had heard that Katz now owns and runs a convenience store around the Nashville area.

Most Nashville steel players go the path of getting out of the business after many years of playing with the stars, 20 years or so and take fulltime day jobs.

Seems to be the norm.

Ron
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 9:23 am    

Katz was a dear friend and fine steel player.
He passed away in 2004 of stroke after a fairly long engagement at the Ocean Opry in Panama City beach Florida.
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 8:59 pm    

That's where I last saw Katz . .
Ocean Opry, early 2000's . .
Gary Brown

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 6:09 am    

Previous to moving to Florida, Katz worked with us at the Carolina Opry in Myrtle Beach, SC from 1992-1995. Great guy and he left us with some great stories we still recount around the theatre.
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 10:54 am    

I could be mistaken but, didn't Katz have his vol. pedal set opposite of normal... so that to increase vol. he would pull his foot up on the pedal..?? Seems to me I recall this from doing shows with him while he was with Marty.

He was a great player and guy.

Chris "Tiny" O.