Greater than 1"
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 83

Author Topic:  What bar size?
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 12:52 pm    

The other thread about bar sizes was kind of interesting, and I wondered statistically what bar size is most common, plus I've never tried to use the forum's poll util.

I've used a 7/8" almost exclusively, messed with a 15/16" briefly, but wasn't comfortable with the 'control' factor, and the visual adjustment I had to make.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 3:18 pm    

My 12 string bar is a 15/16" Bullet Bar. My 10 string bars are: a BJS @ 15/16". My Nu-Generation 10 string bar is 1"
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 9:57 am    

Bill,
I think the question needs clarifying.
For pedal steel I prefer a 15/16th bar but for non-pedal 6 or 8 string, I use a smaller diameter and shorter bar. Very Happy
Erv
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 10:12 am    

Hi Erv. yeah probably so.. I was thinking pedal steel, but it wasn't clear. I remember seeing a guy use a dobro bar on pedal steel once too. So probably should have been another category for 'other' or something as well. Smile
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 10:38 am    

Poll criteria seems pretty clear to me since it's posted on the Pedal Steel board. FWIW, I've used a standard 7/8" bar for nearly 40 yrs. I tried a 15/16" for a while, but I found I liked the first one better overall.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 10:54 am    

I selected the one I use most often on my main pedal steel. I switch bars for different tones in different kinds of music, and have a favorite for each of my guitars.

If you had asked the question a year ago, I would have given a different answer. I was playing 8-string then; now I play a 10-string.

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 12:15 am    

My friend and fellow steel player Dave Easley uses all sorts of different things for "bars". He told me its because they each have a different tone to them. The two that come to mind right off the bat are: 1)A needle nose pliers 2)Back when cars had vent windows there was a little piece of metal that you used to unlock the vent window with. Dave found one on the side of the road and uses it for a bar. I asked him why once and he told me it was because he liked the tone. He also has something that he uses for a "Sitar" sound. I've been thinking of trying one of those powdered bars for pedal steel. I have a Tribotone that I use once in awhile for lap steel, but in general I like a Jerry Byrd style bar for lap steel and a 7/8 for pedal steel.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 6:47 am    

When I played a lot of lap steel, I liked a tapered bar, I think it was a Chase bar.
When I went to a console steel, I went to a straight bar.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2018 6:24 am    

Interesting, the stats are about what I thought they might be based on a lot of conversations with other players. That and $4.50 will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

Thanks to all who contributed.