| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '57 Custom Deluxe amp question
Mark Leonard

Santa Fe, NM USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 11:02 am    

Does anyone have experience using a '57 Fender Custom Deluxe amp tweed (reissue)? I'm just wondering how it would sound with a lap steel. I also use a Fender Stratocaster, so I'd need the amp to sound great overall with both instruments.

The '57 Custom Deluxe amp is extremely expensive for being so small. That's why I'm wondering if the sound of it lives up to the reputation. But, most of all, is it a great sounding amp for non-pedal steel guitar? Thanks.
Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 12:03 pm    

i haven't tried it but it is 12 watts. if you gig with it you'll probably have to mic it thru the PA no matter if it is your steel or strat. i built my own for less than 1/2 that price and while it is a great amp, i would probably have to mic it if i played out.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 1:26 pm    

I built a clone last year, but I added a fixed bias circuit, (switchable), in addition to the original cathode bias. I also added a negative feedback circuit, (switchable). With both engaged, it gives more of a 60's "brown" era sound, which is higher headroom than the early breakup of the stock circuits. Also JJ6V6S tubes will yield about 14 watts.
I tend to like the stock sound with my lap, or Tele, but I don't play out.

[/img]
Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 12:22 pm    

Bill A. Moore wrote:
I built a clone last year, but I added a fixed bias circuit, (switchable), in addition to the original cathode bias. I also added a negative feedback circuit, (switchable). With both engaged, it gives more of a 60's "brown" era sound, which is higher headroom than the early breakup of the stock circuits. Also JJ6V6S tubes will yield about 14 watts.
I tend to like the stock sound with my lap, or Tele, but I don't play out.

[/img]

bill, that is a beautiful amp.

i hope we are not hijacking this thread but showing that the deluxe sound can be had for less than fender's deluxe, such as randy beaver's recent build. here are my two "snakeskin amp" amps that i built. one is stock '58 deluxe clone and the other has the 3 way negative feedback and the marshall lead channel.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 2:36 pm    

Very Nice!
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 7:27 pm    

The 57 Custom Deluxe is expensive partially because it's a hand-wired amp. that's a labor-intensive process that makes it much like the original 5E3 Deluxe. It also makes the amp easier to maintain than a PCB amp.

Does it sound different than cheaper PCB versions? Some say yes, some no - but differences are minor and much less than different tubes and/or speaker make.

You can buy hand-wired 5E3 clones on Reverb and eBay for a fraction of the price - you just have to screen the source well, as many build them from kits while not knowing much of anything about electronics or even good soldering techniques.

Look at 5E3 types form some of the other amp manufacturers, though - Victoria, Clark and many other "known" manufacturers make them and used ones can be had for FAR less than the "57."...

And FWIW I gigged often with a '55 5D3 - unmiked, on 6-string and lap steel in small clubs. With full band. If your drummer has good control/dynamics an amp like this can work fine without modification.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional