| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Classic SS D-10 setup?
Andreas Käehne

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 5:12 am    

Hi guys

I've just recieved my MSA Classic SS and I wonder how I should make the setup. Now it has the C6th on the front neck and the E9th on the rear. Is that how it should be ?(until now I've only owned a Fender Student S-10 E9th so E9th is what I'm used to play).
Could any of you tell me how to adjust pedals and levers/raisers - I don't know much about it, and I'm pretty sure that it isn't the same system as my old student model. It seems to be much more advannced.

Let me know your opinion on copedent etc.

By the way it is an extremely beautiful guitar and I think it sound really good too!

Best regards
Andreas
Klaus Caprani

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 7:20 am    

I firmly comply with you. It's a wonderful guitar, and thanks for letting me try it

It's standart to have the C6 neck closer to the player, but I've heard about players having different arrangements.
I'm not too much into C6 myself, as I play a single E9 so I don't know the exact arrangement except that pedals 4 to 8 + one of the levers is on the C6 neck (double-functioning with the E9).

I'll post a link to my copedent here.

As it appears two of your levers (F-lever on LKL and E-lever on RKL) are the same as mine, which as I'm told is the old Emmons standart. I been told that at some point the E and F levers was moved to the same knee, as you'd never need to raise and lower the E-strings at the same time, theoretically giving you more possibilities.

BTW I hope to see you later today
Thanks for a great couple of days at the retreat.

PS! It's my firm impression, that regarding particularly MSA Reece Anderson is the man to ask.

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com

[This message was edited by Klaus Caprani on 23 August 2005 at 08:23 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 7:45 am    

Well, your guitar sounds like it is reversed from the standard setup, with the C6th closest to the player. You can change it, but it's a lot of work for a beginner, and I wouldn't advise it unless you've had at least some experience making changes. If you do decide to do it, make a list of every pull...that is, what holes are used in the bell-cranks, and what holes are used in the changer for each strings pull. Then, you can go back and redo everything to make the change. When you're doing the setup, you should reinstall the parts on the cross-rods closest to the changer first, and then move to do the far (tuning key) end last. It might take you a couple of days to make the changes, and then get everything retuned and balanced, but you'll only have to do it once, if you're careful. Just remember to leave a little slack in the rods for tuning. If you leave too much slack, it's a simple matter to loosen the setscrew on the brass pins, and then readjust them. (Better to have too much slack than not enough, though!)

Good luck!
Klaus Caprani

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 7:52 am    

Donny!
I played his guitar. There seem to be some front/rear confusion here.
His guitar is standart regarding the C6 neck being the closest to the player and the E9 furthest away from the player.

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com