| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A couple early Christmas presents - prewar Dobro content...
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 4:43 pm    

I bought these two prewar Dobros a few weeks ago as early Christmas presents for myself -I'm just getting around to posting pictures.

The black one is a 1932 Dobro "Double Cyclops" Model 45. The two small, connected screenholes were a cost reduction item during the depression. Even though it's a roundneck it handles squareneck setup just fine.

Other than that it's similar to other early Dobros - a laminated-wood rim "soundwell" (this model with unique parallelogram-shaped holes), a glued-in, stamped cone, aluminum "spider" bridge & "mystery wood" saddles. It's not completely original, having been refinished in the past. It also has a newer Scheerhorn spun cone & National Resophonic "spider" plus maple/ebony saddles. I usually don't buy non-original instruments but these things are rarely found in decent shape! And this one sounds incredible - something not all that common.

The other was a total surprise. It's a 1936 Model 37 squareneck. I bought it based on pictures - and frankly it looked like a total restoration project. But to my surprise it showed up in the original case (with the original receipt - for $46!) coated with greasy dust/dirt that apparently protected it for decades! Other than my installing new strings, a new Beard cone and maple/ebony saddles it's 100% original - down to the original #14 spider & every single slot-head screw. Oh, and I did remove the glue (and 2 tiny tacks) holding down the old stamped cone - and a few blackened strings on it that were so crusty *they* may have been original....

The mid-1930's Model 37 is the same model Mike Auldridge owned two of, Josh Graves played (both used them for many years) and Jerry Douglas still plays with the Earls of Leicester & in some other bluegrass settings. It has a terrific traditional bluegrass sound with lots of punch on tap. It's a nice contrast to my custom-made 2017 Appalachian.

But it's the condition that really blows me away. Other than a few storage "depressions" on the back and small scrapes on the peghead it looks almost unused - even the nickel plating down to the that on the original Kluson strip tuners cleaned up fine & looks near-new.

FWIW I decided to collect prewar Dobros because 1) I play them, and 2) prewar Martin D-28's are in a slightly different price category Whoa!

the refinish job on this Double Cyclops was done years ago in lacquer - thankfully they coated around the Dobro decal!

It's hard to believe this one is all-original (except the cone, saddles & strings). A friend of mine that plays newer instruments thought it was a new $350 Chinese import! Laughing

There is no corrosion on these Klusons - the dark spots are just image artifacts. All I did was clean them with naphtha and use a bit of Flitz metal polish. Didn't even have to take them apart.

Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Last edited by Jim Sliff on 24 Dec 2017 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Kienhofer

Goulais River,Ontario,Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 4:48 pm    

Sweet !
Steve Marinak

Man O War Cay, Abaco, Bahamas
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2017 12:39 pm    

Awesome. I'd like to get some type of Dobro, ever since I've heard Barney Isaacs acoustic album.

Great looking guitars you have there with some history!

Maryland
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2017 2:21 pm    

Two terrific guitars!!

Congrats!

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA