| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  High Mileage Lick
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 8:38 am    

Long Long ago, in a land far away,,,(actually it was Colorado,,LOL),,,I was playing bass in a group whose guitar player ran away,,,,of course I, like so many others grew up playing,,,or "messing" around on guitar. Anyway, the band leader insisted I fill in on guitar,,,"man I've heard you messing around on guitar,,you can do it",,,well, out of necessity , and against my better judgement, I did,,,having never played actual lead before, I found myself falling back on the old Lester Flatt bluegrass diddy,,,that along with several variations got me by for quite a while,,,I remember, the crowds loved it,,,I was amazed that the lick could be adapted to so many different songs,,,,(songs were more "country" in those days,,,LOL.)

Anyway,,,I often wondered if there was a basic steel guitar lick that could be milked, with slight variations, to fit as many situations as that old lick. I have a couple that are pretty useful,,,,wonder who else has some,,,and if there would be a lick that you would consider to be as "multi-purpose" as that old Lester Flatt lick? (Maybe Paul will include an ultra high mileage lick in his new course,,,LOL)
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 11:55 am    

My first thought is Hal & Weldon's famous three-string descending run (the "Hot Foot" lick). That one got Bruce Bouton through a quick sequence of two-beat chords in "Highway 40 Blues". Also, I like what Buck Reid did with it in his version of "Alabama Jubilee". He extended the run on down in several parts of his solos.

Is that what you had in mind Sonny?
Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 12:06 pm    

Found an example of the lick I'm talking about,,,for those that don't remember ole Lester,,LOL

It's amazing how many places you can make this thing fit,,,(not the whole sone,,,just the 2 bar lick,,,,anywhere there is a 2 bar "hole",,,

starting around 2:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXW9OhgoqKQ
Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 12:11 pm    

What,,,we don't have a one size fits all(or at least a bunch of songs!) for steel guitar,,,something comparable to the guitar lick? No one on this forum has a lick that they started with,,,and wore it out while trying to learn more licks?

A lick like this would be the aim of another thread I started,,regarding how to help a noobie "get into a participation" environment quickly.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=321965&highlight=