| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Heartland Emmons Push/Pull Rescue
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2005 7:07 pm    

I have no interest in this, except a great machine (Emmons '77 D-10 p/p 8+5?; s/n 2317 D) deserves a better home.

For the past few family visits back to Oklahoma City, this wobegone sunburst Emmons has sat like a wallflower in, if not hostile, certainly alien territory. In typical fashion, its present detainer Guitar Center had it marked at $2500 and seems to think it's now a bargain at $1899.

Someone needs to talk with logic and compassion to GC to liberate this worthy beast. I can't begin to assess how much work it needs (lotsa dust, loose first pedal)--nevertheless it belongs in someone's arsenal more than where it's been residing (the tag says 4-15-97; the OKC GC hasn't been in business that long, I don't think). No major stoopid alterations (has thin flat pedals--correct for the time?) I could see in casual viewing, but I don't doubt lots of adjustments will be necessary. GC does have one salesman who can play a bit--Danny Hargis. He and I noodled around on it a bit the other day.

I get back to Oklahoma City about three times a year--I don't want to see this there come August or September, OK?

[This message was edited by Ben Elder on 24 May 2005 at 09:11 PM.]

Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 24 May 2005 7:52 pm    

Ouch!

Poor thing. Somebody go get it and love it. I bet they'd take $1500.

Charlie

[This message was edited by Charles Dempsey on 24 May 2005 at 08:54 PM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 May 2005 2:04 am    

From your post title I thought maybe the guitar had fallen down a well.

There is not a whole lot of intelligence (or ethical worthiness) at Guitar Center. Don't count on much from the bozos of the music instrument world.
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2005 12:42 pm    

On the other hand, GC often seems to get crazy to get (what they think are) white elephants off the books and out of inventory. Not that they will in this case, but I've bought accessories cheap enough to flip profitably on eBay and a killer '61 D-28 for $2500 (two years ago; no cracks or repairs) that's worth twice that. I suspect the Martin was priced out of cluelessness and fortuitously without input from the Hollywood vintage gurus.

I was told this Emmons does have its OHSC, for those of you pondering from afar.

"...fallen down a well...": It might as well have.

[This message was edited by Ben Elder on 25 May 2005 at 01:50 PM.]

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2005 1:13 pm    

I bought my GFI D-10 at GC for $600. They didn't have a clue!
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2005 2:53 pm    

I went with a friend 2 weeks ago and he purchased a MSA Universal with 8&4 for $600. There were some very minor flaws but the price was too good to be true. Some of these pawn shops and stores just do not have a clue what steels are worth. I just say they are the ones who put the price tag on there.