| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter/BCT/Truetone
Buddy Griffin

Derwood, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 8:27 am    

I have a Carter D10, preBCT, GeorgeL PUs.
Does anyone out there have any experience with adding BCT and/or replacing PU's with TT's to get closer to the Emmons sound? Is it worth the expense or am I just wasting my time and $$$. Love the Carter pedal action and everything else.

Buddy G
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 8:42 am    

Buy an Emmons.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 8:44 am    

Buddy, there have been others with your same question, a forum search will turn up lots of replies. Check http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/003727.html and scroll down a bit for my rave on adding BCT to a Pre-BCT Carter. I also put Truetones on that guitar and was very pleased. I honestly think you won't be disappointed in any way with both mods. Not really an Emmons, but definitely a better sounding/playing guitar. Best of luck.

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com

[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 16 May 2005 at 09:45 AM.]

Buddy Griffin

Derwood, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 8:45 am    

I'm trying real hard to avoid that, although it may come down to that.

BG
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 1:09 pm    

I don't know what a Pre-BCT Carter sounds like but I have just got a brand new one and it sure sounds great --- but it has BL XR16's on it, not TT. The guitar plays very nice and smooth, has tons of sustain and just sounds superb -- and it is a whole lot lighter than any Emmons !!
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 1:34 pm    

I've had two of the Carter guitars the first without BCT and the one I have now with BCT. I put Truetones in mine and wouldn't have it any other way. The BCT will give you more sustain. I liked the tone of the first Carter without the BCT but I like the tone of this one too but that's always subjective. The sustain is as good any guiitar including the Emmons and I've played the p/p's since 86. I love the tone and would tell anybody to buy the Carter guitar. The pedal travel is shorter than most too. It fits me better than any guitar I've played but that's me.
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 1:54 pm    

On the pedal travel, if you like it longer they can do that no problem by milling the the pedal connection point closer to the axle. I had that done when I ordered my Carter.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 May 2005 3:11 am    

I played a p/p for about 10 years. It had the old single p/u's on it and had a nice hum with it. But it did have the Emmons sound. I like XR-16 p/u's on both of my Carters. I can play either one through a Nv1000 or 112 or even my Steelking w/o effects and get reaal close to the old Emmons sound.
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 17 May 2005 4:30 am    

Buddy I can`t tell you about pre BCT but I will add to the comments of Frank and Paddy. I have played a 74 Emmons for 27 years until a month ago. I have a new Carter with BCT and BL XR-16s and it has more bite and tone than anything I ever played. The sustain is better than my Emmons too. Its not going to sound like my Emmons original but its just as good, just different, and many have commented it sounds better.
Hook

------------------
www.HookMoore.com
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2005 4:59 pm    

Don't expect to go out and make the Carter or any other guitar sound like an Emmons or any of the other guitars out there. They all have their own tone and with various p-ups and your hands, it'll sound like you want it to. I love the tone of the old p/p's as much as anybody and it's the best part about the old Emmons guitars. The Carter sounds different but as good and will outplay the old Emmons every time. If the Emmons had the splits, the smoothness, the short pedal travel and the lightness of the Carter I'd still be playing it all of the time. Once you play any guitar for a while your hands will have it sounding great and more to your liking everyday.