| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Ultra thoughts
Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 4:25 am    

I wanted to get thoughts on a GFI Ultra. I was looking to upgrade to a D10 and was considering a GFI. I had a Mullen SD10 now. How does the GFI compare to Mullen? IS GFI a good brand pedal steel? I realize everyone has their personal preferences on brands. I just wanted to get some feedback from players before I bite the bullet and take the plunge. I appreciate any comments. Keep steeling.

Last edited by Craig Bailey on 4 Aug 2017 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 6:16 am    

Hi Craig,
I had a GFI Ultra SD10 3x5 .I now have the same spec Mullen RP .
I found the GFI a bit small and ergonomically cramped compared to the Mullen which is more "spacious" and feels you have room to move around it and not feel locked in.
The GFI has excellent engineering ,altho some of the knee lever stops were a bit fiddly to adjust at times.
The Mullen in my opinion has a better feel on the action and is perceptively lighter .
Sound wise to my ears the Mullen has a more richer tone than the GFI ,not that the GFI is lacking because it isn't ,just different ,probably the GFI is a tad brighter / thinner.
The Mullen is heavier by far but I don't mind that ,it feels stable in its playing position.
Regards Dave
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 6:51 am    

Hi Craig,I haven't played a Mullen although they are building a guitar for me,I have a GFI Ultra D-10 8+5 and a few other guitars,The ultra is a wonderful guitar,Easy to adjust rods/bell cranks etc.stays in tune ,As far as the Ultra sounding thin ?I don't hear that at all,I hear fat mid range tone that is my favorite,The Ultra is a well made reliable guitar.I'm sure that the Mullen is also great as is Desert Rose,Justice,Infinity,MSA,Sho-Pro...there's a lot of good guitars being built these days!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Last edited by Stu Schulman on 3 Aug 2017 11:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 7:00 am     Re: GI Ultra thoughts

I have a GFI Ultra SD10 keyless, so...

Craig Bailey wrote:
How does the GFI compare to Mullen?
Cannot compare to Mullen as I haven't tested one of those.

1) Compared to my Dekleys (in my pretty straight amp-setup) my GFI competes very well soundwise. The GFI sounds "big" and clear with an excellent tone, with a really wide sonic range to play on. (Mine has GFI II PU, and an LSS string set with some strings a little on the heavy side - 3d=.0115 and 6th=.022W.)
2) My GFI is quite a little weaker then my Dekleys when it comes to inherent sustain - it drops in level quite quickly and needs "VP-jogging" to adjust. However, the light GFI's frame and soundboard reacts better to acoustic feedback from the amplifier than the much heavier Dekley, so in real life - on stage with amp turned up a little - I can milk the GFI's sustain for as long as I like with quite normal VP use.

Craig Bailey wrote:
IS GFI a good brand pedal steel?
Yes, most definitely!

1) Mechanically a GFI is, IMO, the easiest PSG to work on in production today.
2) If you prefer wound 6th string on E9, my GFI can barely lower it far enough (to F#). Took a bit of trimming to get it perfectly in tune for full lower w/split (to G). Uses split-rod, as there are no "max lower" screws.
3) My keyless Ultra has the solid bolt in place of keyhead rollers, which causes a little hang (hysteresis) after raise and lower. That bolt is in my experience a bad idea - should be rollers even on a keyless to eliminate any hang.
(That hang on the bolt is the reason I gave my GFI the role as "dedicated lab rat" - for experimentation only. I dislike any form for hang/hysteresis instability.)
- The keyed GFIs have rollers and should work just fine.
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 8:45 am    

Quality-wise, you can't go wrong with a GFI Ultra... Ten years with mine and it's still all I need.

I can't speak directly though about its feel vs. a Mullen. The GFI design is very non-traditional. You may love the difference (as I do), but then you may miss a bit of the traditional feel.

Either way I say do it! Seems like used GFI's sell quickly... and used Mullen D-10's are for sale quite often. So, you can always switch back later. I bet you'll keep the GFI though....
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 8:56 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
...The ultra is a wonderful guitar,Easy to adjust rods/bell cranks etc...

This is very true... Of my 8+5, Only Pedal 8 remains as it came from the factory!

Last edited by Jeff Harbour on 3 Aug 2017 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 8:58 am    

For Dave Hepworth:

"I found the GFI a bit small and ergonomically cramped compared to the Mullen which is more "spacious" and feels you have room to move around it and not feel locked in."

Is the scale length on the guitars the same?
If not, that might explain the difference.

"The Mullen in my opinion has a better feel on the action and is perceptively lighter."
Did you mean to say "perceptively easier", because later you said:
"The Mullen is heavier by far but I don't mind that, it feels stable in its playing position."
Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 11:29 pm    

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. I love my Mullen. I just wanted to get into a double neck to start learning the C6 neck and I wanted to take a serious look at GFI because of the value you can get on a used GFI.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 4:16 am    

re: learning C6th. Another option would be a lap steel in C6th. Smaller investment and much will transfer to the pedal steel if you go that route later. Or, maybe that would be all you need.
Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 11:56 am    

Craig, I had a keyless SD-10 4x5 Ultra that I recently sold to finance the purchase of a new Williams S-12. I liked the mechanics of the GFI and the way it played as compared to my Carter Pro. However, I found the sound to be thin/bright.

I was told the specific GFI sound is partially the result of the aluminum frame body. I took it to Jim Palenscar for a pick up change and he thought it sounded fine, as is.

I changed the GFI-III pick up anyway with an Alumitone and I thought it helped by making it a little warmer, but I never got that ahhhh moment with the sound/tone. Even my wife (who is a working musician) always asked me to play the Carter because she liked the way it sounded better. As such, the GFI was relegated to being used mainly as a practice guitar.

Having said that, I think you'll find more people will say they like the sound of the GFI then people who say they don't. It's obviously a preference/subjective thing. I've also wondered if the keyless body had something to do with it.

However, I can tell you that if I ever see a used GFI Ultra S- or SD-12 in extended E9 for sale, I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat for another practice guitar, if nothing else. That is to say, the quality of the guitar and the way it plays offsets (to me) the sound to a large degree. You can always experiment with pick ups.
Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyless, Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyed, Telonics TCA 500C, Quilter Steelaire, Magic Fender clone, 1937 Model 59 Rick 6, 1940 Epiphone 7-string Zephyr, Oahu 6, 8+/- regular guitars, Kawai baby grand, two cats...
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 4:04 pm    

I've only ever heard "warmth" from my GFI. It has GFI-II pickups, maybe that matters.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 5:43 am    

My Ultra also has GFI II pickups and warm is a good way to describe them!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 6:23 am    

I had a GFI SD-10 (Keyed) I bought to use as a spare guitar when Billy Knowles had my Zum SD-12 for repairs.

I was very impressed with the mechanics, fit and finish. I was less impressed with the tone. I found it acceptable but after playing a Zum all those years I guess I was spoiled in the tone department.

I only sold it to buy a Carter S-12 Uni. All things considered I would probably buy a GFI S-12 if the price was right and wouldn't be ashamed to play it out.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 9:43 am    

I wonder what the difference is between the GF-II and the GF-III pickups are?
Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 3:09 pm    

Craig I have a GFI Ultra D10-8+6 I'm going to sell for $2600.00 I haven't put it up for sale yet. It's a very nice red and black. GFI pickups both necks standard Emmons setup. I believe it's a 2003 model. It's been played very little. I've had it set up as my home practice guitar. I've had to downsize due to my age (81) and a hip replacement. Now playing a Justice Pro Lite and Zum Encore. If interested leave a message at my home phone 325-247-2190. I am in Llano,Tx.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"
Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 7:17 pm    

Don, how does your GFI compare to your Mullen?

thanks
Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 8:26 pm    

Well Craig, If I had my eyes closed I probably couldn't tell the difference between the two, but then I probably couldn't hit my ass on either one then either Sad Seriously though both guitars feel and play great. I will be putting the Mullen D10 up for sale also, but you were asking about the GFI Ultra. I will probably be putting the Mullen up for sale also probably for $2850.00 because it has 2 cases. One for the guitar and the other for pedals, legs and rods. Remember I had to lighten the load.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"