| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gentlemen prefer Blondes
Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 7:10 am    

Thanks to a few people, I now have (at my age) my last pedal steel guitar that I got from Gordon Hartin in a very smooth transaction. Growing up on my Dad's knee while he played his ShoBud.. I always liked the sound, but in the late 60's his tastes were solidly in the country music sound while mine went to Blues/Rock and the twain never met as I picked up a six string, but I always loved that ShoBud sound..

I have tried several times (thanks John Ely and John McClung) to get a grasp on traditional lap and pedal steel guitar, but it just never spoke to me. Recently, I became very interested in Sacred Steel, especially the ability to strum rhythm. So, I got Gordon's 12 string Jackson Custom with the pure ShoBud tone and decided to try sacred steel.

I talked at length with David Jackson about Sacred steel and he told me to call Chuck Campbell to discuss copedents, etc. (yeah right!..) David paved the way and Chuck graciously took my call, and provided me with his latest copedent which David was able to incorporate into my new Jackson.. now the most modded Jackson 12 string on the planet Smile I had no idea that the Jackson was such a beast to mod but what a final result..

I will also say that David has some really interesting ideas about the future of pedal steel and bringing it into the 21st century, including stand up 6,7 and 8 strings that people can learn without dedicating a lifetime of study to master. He really is an innovator in the field and I wish him all success as he tries to bring pedal steel to a larger, younger audience.

Not only did David do an amazing job adding a VKL and another pedal, but also multiple lowers on a single string.. even changes with 4 raises are effortless and smooth.. and the tone is pure patented ShoBud old school.

In even more exciting news, Chuck has agreed to help teach me to use and appreciate this hot rod Jackson! Chuck is one of the most spiritual and gracious people I have ever met, and to be able to reach out to him for help is a tremendous load off my mind.. and having an international star with his talent take the time to work with me is humbling.

Just wanted to post this to say thanks to and recognize the help from David and Chuck.. and I look forward to this new adventure even if it is not "mainstream"

Cheers

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 7:16 pm    

Dayum that's PURTY!

Always curious about the thin neck & recessed headstock. Looks cool; how does it sound? Is it similar to anything like say, a PP? More "Sho-Bud-ish"?

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 9:40 pm    

To my ears, it is very "ShoBud" sounding.. that said, the mechanism is described as a dual action pull.. different from an all pull like my Williams.. but I have just exhausted my technical knowledge of the machine.

I just know it is one of the smoothest, easiest mechanisms I have felt..

Maybe someone with more experience can explain how the mechanism works..
Dennis Boring

Oroville, Northern Communist California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 10:36 pm     I love my "blond" as well

A Lamar Colvin D10 (8+5)