| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I need help!
Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2024 5:22 am    

Hi, having lost my pro II about 2 years ago ( too sad for details) I finally got another steel , I could only afford a Carter starter that I bought through the forum last week. Apparently it had been altered and I was unaware of that. I think it’s what you pros call The Day setup, the A pedal only raises the 4th string. The B and C pedals do what my A and B pedals did on my old Sho-Bud.

Having learned everything from The Jeff Newman books and a few others which were all geared toward a standard E9 setup like all the books show, I want to put it back if that’s possible. With my steel upside down I see that the first cross shaft where A pedal hooks up only has one welded on crank all other shafts have 2. This Carter also has 4 knee levers each with 2 cranks.

Does anyone know if they came this way? My idea is to lose the 4th knee lever And use that cross shaft for the A pedal as it has 2 cranks on it that look to be in the right location for the A pedal to raise my B strings and then change B and C pedals to the way my Bud was. I would have to make a new rod as it only has one long enough to reach that crank but I think I can do that.

Is this doable, should I find some mechanic to do this? I know I’d have to ship it but would cause it only weighs 24 pounds,( no case). I'm incredibly bummed cause I just wanted to set it up and play after my 2 year absence of a steel. Any advice or comments would be helpful.

I am a regular guitar mechanic at a music store In Niagara Falls so not afraid to muck about a bit but worried I might be missing some knowledge some of you might have. I know it’s a beginner steel and will never be like my Bud but I just want to play and not learn a new method. Also if a mechanic sees this and wants to do it, I’ll ship it and pay cause I just want to play. Please help if you can . Thanks

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2024 5:40 am    

I'm looking at my photo files from C-S's I've had on my workbench.

The C pedal only has one bellcrank because you can hook the 4th & 5th string rods to the same crank.
So I am assuming that the person who converted yours from Emmons to Day exchanged the A & C cross shafts. I don't know what's involved with removing a shaft from the C-S so I can't advise as to degree of difficulty.

But conceptually, it ought to be a simple as that. Plus having the second pull rod long enough to go from A to the changer.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2024 5:57 am    

re: removing cross shafts, first thing I'd investigate is whether loosening the collar that locks the shaft (on the side opposite where the pedal rods connect) allows you to slip the shaft in enough to come out of the hole on the rod-connection side. That would be wonderfully simple.

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2024 6:01 am     Thanks

Hi, thanks for the photo, I see your first cross shaft has 2 cranks , that’s what I needed to see. Are you a repairman? Do you do this work. I’m in Buffalo, and would gladly drive it to you as you are not far. If it was all set up and working like I want it I’d gladly hire a pro with experience to do it. If not thanks very much for that photo.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2024 6:14 am    

Yes, I do steel repair work.

First off -- from the photo, can you confirm that it appears that the A & C pedal shafts have been exchanged? (red & green)
If it is that simple, then I am quite confident about doing this job. If not, the Starter is not simple -- the welded cranks limit one's options.

And re: driving....you understand that it's a 5 hour one way haul?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2024 6:46 am    

Isn't there a way to install an aftermarket bell crank on the round cross shaft without removing it? Split, or 2 pc. crank to put on the shaft? Or aren't there any parts made that way?

I bet Barry Coker can machine a part that will work that way depending on clearance and dimensions.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2024 6:53 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Isn't there a way to install an aftermarket bell crank on the round cross shaft without removing it? Split, or 2 pc. crank to put on the shaft? Or aren't there any parts made that way?

I bet Barry Coker can machine a part that will work that way depending on clearance and dimensions.

Yeah -- I bet he can.
I forget the diam of the shaft but it is small. And the clearance from the deck is slim. So these things need to be factored. But it would not be impossible.

But I'm betting (and needing confirmation) that exchanging the A & C shafts is what was done and that it might be simple to reverse.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2024 7:08 am    

Looking at your photo Jon, I do see there is not a lot of space there. Just a thought though. Never had hands on a CS so I dunno what's involved with removing a shaft.

Good luck getting this sorted Bryan. I'll be watching to see how this shakes out.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2024 7:14 am    

ah -- just found another photo from my files. Yes -- loosen the collar on the left, the shaft should slide thru & pop right out of the hole on the right. Eezy peezy.

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2024 7:12 pm     Think I’m close

Mr. John Light was correct, seems the A and C cross shafts were switched. I did get them out but had to remove the piece that holds them in. It seemed like I would have mucked them to force them out by just loosening the bushing Allen screw. At this point, I’m going to tackle the rest in the morning. Still have to make a pull rod though but I think I can do that. Since I got it all apart I’m going to make the pedal rods a little longer to raise the whole thing up. I did that to my old Bud cause I’m 6’2” and the extra room was really great. I’ll post some more when I’m successful.
Thanks everyone for chipping in, I am still a member of the forum but haven’t really been here since I lost my Bud, it was too depressing! It’s really great to see it’s still the best guitar forum ever. Always a helpful person here and as I remember it, some real wizards too. Can’t wait to get a bar back in my hand it’s been two years!

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2024 5:26 am    

Bryan, I believe kevin Hatten is in the Buffalo area. He used to build steel guitars, and still builds and sells cases. If you get stuck, he might be able to help you repair your guitar. He is a Forum member.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2024 9:13 am    

Good to know the situation was resolved. Guess you learned a little something more about your guitar in the process too.

I don't know the circumstance surrounding the loss of your Bud, but I know the feeling and empathize with you.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2024 9:11 am    

Never worked on that breed of guitar.
But made several Day to Emmons or Emmons to Day changes.
It may take reversing levers also.

While moving cross rods, Will the knee levers cross rods need moved too?
If the knee levers lower and raise 4-8 you may want to reverse them too. While moving cross rods.
Before you start moving the pull rods.

Good Luck getting your new guitar setup, Happy Steelin.