| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal 4 - The "Franklin Pedal"
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2005 11:26 am    

On my U-12 (E9/B6) I have the 4th pedal set up to lower strings 5, 6, and 9 a whole step. B's down to A's and the G# down to F#. Pretty common nowadays. Sometimes referred to as the "Franklin Pedal".

I also have a knee-lever that lowers string 6 from G# down to F#, split to G natural with the 2nd pedal. Also pretty common. This same lever raises the first string from F# to G# and the second string from D# to E. Also common.

Even though I do understand the uses of the 4th pedal, I just rarely use it. It doesn't come natural to me to use those changes. I have to really think and plan ahead before I use that pedal.

I like the changes that I have on the knee-lever mentioned above and am thinking about splitting them up. I'll leave the 6th string lower on the lever and move the 1st string and 2nd string raises to the 4th pedal. There are many times when I am playing a minor chord with the split lower on the 6th string and need that 9th tone found on the 1st string, but the way things are now, the 9th tone is not there because the knee-lever has raised the first string a whole step.

Any reasons for not moving the 1st string and 2nd string raises to a pedal?

Lee, from South Texas
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2005 3:17 pm    

I have them on a pedal and don't find it much of a problem. The only lick I have not been able to get (my feet aren't fast enough) is where you pick string 3 with the B pedal, release it and hit string 1 with the raise to G# and then release to F# and pick string 4 with no pedals. I actually thought of putting an additional pull on my last pedal (#9 in my case) to raise the F# to G# on the E9th neck and use my right foot to achieve this type of lick.