| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What would be the lightest D-10, with & without case
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 12:36 pm    

What is the lightest D-10, both with & without the case that is being produced at this time? Anyone have a thought on this??

Ernie Whoa!
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 6:24 pm    

Probably Excel or Williams keyless models. New MSA's are fairly lightweight too comparatively. I don't know what cases they come with though.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 8:37 pm    

I think the wheeled cases that came with my MSA's weigh around 20 lbs. I went from a very heavy Clark D10 to a Williams keyless D10 around 1985, and it felt like I was only carrying about half of a guitar.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 10:44 pm    

Franklin's and Williams are the lightest I've run across. The last time I talked with Gary Rittenberry he was real excited about a new light weight D-10 he has on the drawing board. That was maybe 6 weeks ago.

b.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 4:35 am    

After seeing Andrew Wright's last night, the Excel is DEFINITELY in the running. I wonder how heavy the Schild is
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 8:28 pm    

If you can find one, the Sierra Artist. They are no longer being made, but I had an S-10 on loan for a while. It was in a gig bag, so light that I could sling it over my shoulder.

I see that there's one for sale right now on the forum: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=313200

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 12:03 am    

My MSA Millenium SD10 in. Scott Dixon case weighs in at 21.5 kgs (47.3lbs) so a D10 would be about 2lbs heavier, makes perfect for Airline usage.

MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 12:44 pm     carter D10

I would think a Carter D10 would be right there in the 50# or less class.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 6:01 am    

I've got a '67 Bolt-on P/P that is 41.8 lbs with steel legs, out of the case. I've also got a '66 that's 44.2 lbs, out of the case. IMO, that ain't too bad, especially given the tendencies for P/Ps to be very heavy. The '67 is 8x4, and the '66 is 8x5.

Both of these are much lighter than any other P/P I've owned, by 5 lbs or more. I wonder if there's something about the bolt-ons that made them tend toward less weight? That '67 is under 40 lbs. with aluminum legs.. sweet. And it rings like a bell.